Author Topic: Question on 69 Fairlane fiberglass hood/fenders?  (Read 4758 times)

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: Question on 69 Fairlane fiberglass hood/fenders?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
I bought a fiberglass flat hood for my 78 Fairmont race car many years ago, from US Body Source, and I was very impressed with the quality of the hood. It was a lift off hood, and I never did use it, as I like having the stock hood hinges, plus when I weighed the stock steel hood to a factory hood, I didn`t think the 7 pounds was worth the effort. Keep in mind that the Fairmont was Fords first attempt at building lightweight production cars, so the factory hood on a Fairmont is constructed much lighter than an earlier car. (No inner panel, just a outer frame with a thin brace in the center, factory lightening holes and slots. ) The guy that I did sell the US Body hood to years ago, said it fit very well and required minimal work before painting. For anything other than a race car, I would rather spend a reasonable amount of $$$ on original Ford sheetmetal. Having owned 2 69 Fairlane Cobras , it seems that on the factory hoods, its fairly common to find a long crack in the raised peak that runs down the center of the hood. Both my hoods were cracked about 3" long, near the front of the hood. Since both my Cobras were R code cars, I wonder if the combination of having a large hole in the middle of the hood, combined with the aerodynamic lifting forces of the hood scoop at higher speeds possibly was a contributing factor over time, to the stresses on the hood. Or possibly the stamping process stretched the steel too thin. Considering 68-9 Fairlanes and Torinos are still not considered super valuable, $1000. for a stock flat hood does seem really steep.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
I will give U S Body Source a second on their quality. I have a flat hood I bought for my 68 Mustang that is very nice- straight with a good fit. I have had friends who have bought from them for other makes and are satisfied customers. Over the years I have had a lot of fiberglass from a lot of suppliers and it all needs work some more than others but it is not a black art like some make it out to be. You may want to contact U S Body Source and see if they have more than what they list on their website. I believe they have several molds for parts not listed. Good luck!

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »
Why not take the Crites hood and remove the scope and glass in a flat hood?
Not that hard to do.
Greg

fescj428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 05:11:40 AM »
Appreciate the responses! I'll look further into U S body source. I am concerned that their hood is the lift off style which I need to confirm? I'll go to Crites this week and look at their hood as well. I'll give CTC auto ranch a call as well. Keep the guy in the Cleveland area as a last resort. I have a few options, we'll see if anything pans out? Thx much! Brian

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
My hood is a US body Source.  It's 30 years old more or less.  It's had several scoops and various sized holes in  it over the years.  Great part.  I would also have their fenders, but in the early 90s they threw the molds out - no orders.  Yes, the hoods are pin on.  I use pins in the front and the hinges in the rear.  Go to Lowes or HD and get some 1x4 poplar.  Go to the hardware store and get some good two part epoxy and some fiberglass repair stuff.  Cut some appropriate sizes block from the poplar and glue/glass to the underside/back of the hood.  Mark using the hinges, then add some wood inserts with 5/16 internal thread to the poplar blocks under the hood.   Remove the hinge springs.  Up front use pins or possibly fab a hood latch. 

My theory on these Ford unibody cars with the front doghouse/shocktower design like Fairlane/Torino/Mustang/Falcon is the steel fenders add some rigidity to the front.  Steel certainly would absorb crash energy better than fiberglass if the unfortunate event happened.

Fenders add nothing to the strength of the front end.  They are decoration only.  All the rigidity is in the splash panels, towers and lower cross member.  And leave Mustang out of that - their lower "cross member" is bolt in, which is why you see so many people adding the Monte Carlo braces and repairing cracked shock towers.  Fairlane/Falcon 66 up is WAY more rigid than a Mustang in the front. 

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »
Pictures of a 30 yr old US Body hood

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »
Underside

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
I appreciate all of the responses! I actually do have original hood and fenders for my car, and they are rustfree. But, they are badly beat and dented. The man hours to fix this stuff would be significant and the guy would have to be a great sculptor. I haven't found much of anything for sale close to me ( central Ohio area ) nor on east coast/west coast at this time. I am certainly not opposed to original sheet metal if the parts are decent and the price reasonable, but, I saw the fiberglass hood and fenders listed on Ebay and wanted to look into it more. The guy selling them on Ebay is "showcarsrob". Apparently sells other fiberglass parts for Mopar, Chevy, etc. Country of origin is shown as Canada and that is where parts would be shipped from. I am also aware of the Crites ram air hood. I would actually prefer the flat hood. I have a message into Crites if they have the ability to make a flat fiberglass hood? I don't need these parts tomorrow, I have time. Glad I started looking now.

PM sent
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
CTC doesn't really want to sell anything, IMHO, based on their pricing.  Probably worse now that they got featured on Junkyard Gold.