Author Topic: Which electric fan controller + temp settings for each fan?  (Read 2219 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Which electric fan controller + temp settings for each fan?
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
I managed to snag a dual fan setup from a Contour this past weekend.  What electric fan controller do you guys recommend for a street car?  The article I've been reading through on FordMuscle http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/ suggests that the one from SPAL would be nice with programmable high/low thresholds as well as temp sensor input instead of a radiator fin probe.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:03:23 PM by drdano »

afret

Re: Which electric fan controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »
Didn't bother with a controller with the Contour fans.  Used a separate relay for each fan and the water pump so tried to keep it simple as possible and used a temperature sender to turn each one on separately.  One fan turns on at 185* and the other at 195*.  Also have a switch to turn each on manually.

drdano

• View Profile
Re: Which electric fan controller?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
I got my 3G alternator conversion done, now back to the fans...which was the whole reason for starting down this path.  I managed to pick up a brand-used Dakota Digital fan controller on Craigslist locally.  It has exactly what I need for my dual Contour fans.  One question I have, is where to put the on-off temperatures for each fan?

Something like this?

Fan 1: 185 degrees on, 170 degrees off
Fan 2: 205 degrees on, 195 degrees off

I'm just not sure what would be best to make the fans work best with each other and not having them kick on and off and on and off constantly.