Author Topic: Galaxie Long Tube Exhaust ....... Identification Help  (Read 2683 times)

FE4ME

• View Profile
Galaxie Long Tube Exhaust ....... Identification Help
« on: October 25, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
I am looking for help identifying a set of original galaxie long tube exhaust manifolds.
Im guessing 99% of you have never seen these before , because they sort of dont exist

These are NOT the common C2/C3 castings
and they are NOT the 65 castings.

These are cast as C2AE-9431-A , and C2AE-9430-A ,
They are very different from the C2 and C3 castings in shape , and are appx 3" shorter than the C2 / C3 castings

I was told they were possibly from 1962 Lightweight Galaxie ???
I was also told they were possibly from 406 Dual Quad cars ??

any accurate replies are greatly appreciated , thank you

Once they are accurately ID'd I will be looking to sell them , I just want to list them as accurate as possible

FE4ME

• View Profile
Re: Galaxie Long Tube Exhaust ....... Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »
more pics

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:54 PM »
Please forward these to me at bob@sprowl.net. Thanks

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:26 AM »
I compaired the pics to my cast pieces on my car, big diffience I saw is the location of the heat tube bosses. Mine are cast into the outer tubes and yours are behind the tubes and stick out more. The collectors look to be shorter than mine. be itnrested to see the original app is.

FE4ME

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
Yes,
 I had them side by side with a pair of the C2/C3 castings , and they were 3 to 3.5" shorter in the collector area

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 02:02:14 PM »
The key here is the "A"  which signifies first design. I have seen these C2 *****-A on an early 406 tripower. The later C2******-B version  I have seen on an early 1963 406. So when was the "B" revision put in production?  Somebody with more knowledge on this subject than me. A side note, I have a picture of an early 1963 427 Marauder ,somewhere
and it clearly shows a C2*****-A manifold on the driver side. This engine ( I believe) was a prop for a magazine article, for the then new 427.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 02:27:41 PM »
Do they have a date code cast in? That would help narrow down the application.

FE4ME

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »
no dates, any other markings or codes
just the big font engineering number

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »
Dennis form over on the old FE forum had this to say about the c2 long manifolds.

The delay in release of the long branch manifolds in production was due to the non availability of the Equalizer Arm Assy. The date was around Nov 1962. Any of these 1962's with long branch manifolds were NASCAR or drag cars. Whether any 1963 406's were built in production with long branch manifolds, don't know. My 1963 406 6V XL had short branch and was built at Chicago Assy Plt around Oct 62.

Not aware of the late 406 and 427 block being the same casting. Engineering documentation certainly doesn't support this. The real real early 427 block was not cloverleafed, but whether any were used in production vehicles, I doubt it. Maybe some of the 427 Phase 1 units built in Dec 1962.

Regards,
Dennis

While they are probably the rarest version minus the aluminum versions or cammer versions, you do see a set pop up form time to time. There was also a set at Carlisle this year. I also know a guy that has two sets.  None of the sets i have seen have dates codes , and all carry the C2AE A casting numbers.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »
Jay Cushman has a couple sets of these, that's probably the set that was seen at Carlisle. He told me they were a preliminary/early design, and it would make sense that the equalizer arm assembly made them not work well. At one point I was hunting a set of these for my '62 because I thought it'd be cool to have an "early" set on a '62 car. May still be interested if priced fairly!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 09:18:59 AM »
I believe the issue was the 406 /390 z bar that is used on the shorty manifolds didn't work with long tube manifolds. So they redesigned the one which is further out to clear the long tubes, and used on the 427 cars. The ones I saw where in the far back row to the fence in about the middle area at Carlisle , and where not Jays , I stopped at his spot also . Thanks Lance 

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
Wondering why they are usually referenced as 62 manifolds if they were cast well into the 63 model year. Hard to believe Ford would cast them for race cars or the previous years model, unless they thought they might work on the 63.

FE4ME

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 11:21:10 PM »
Wondering why they are usually referenced as 62 manifolds if they were cast well into the 63 model year. Hard to believe Ford would cast them for race cars or the previous years model, unless they thought they might work on the 63.

Im not certain these 62 castings were cast into the 63 year.
I just sold a set of the more common C2 / C3 long tubes that were dated Jan 17 1963

some updated pics I sent to Bob Sprowl to use on his wonderful site.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:23:12 PM by FE4ME »

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »
They are for sure 62 and cast in 62, i think Dennis is referring to the later manifolds when he says or asks if any 63 came out with long tubes. I think his first statement is in reference tot he 62 version. There is also a magazine cover with these on a 406. Cant remember now what it is but the engine is orange and the headers are white.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »
Some info on FEForum in parts for sale dated Feb 3, 2020 by jr427ford.
Lance had posted this pic.
Woody