Author Topic: Drag Week 2018 is underway.  (Read 15909 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2018 is underway.
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »

It is the most fun you will ever have with your car while simultaneously being tortured for a week lol. Because the event does move around a person really should take advantage if it's close.

Two things I always say - If you aren't sure your car will be done, or you may not be able to get the time off, at least get on the waiting list. So far no one has who has shown up for registration and was on the waiting list has ever been turned away. And being on the waiting list means not paying until you know you're in. They started with about 375 cars this year, with a planned limit of 400, so there was still room. Although the event sells out in about 5 minutes each year, the attrition of hopefuls is massive as Drag Week draws closer.  Also, don't worry about being too slow, I guarantee there will be slower vehicles even if you show up with something 391 FT powered ( that would be cool though ). Get on getting ready right away though, the amount of people still thrashing at the last minute seems to be a Drag Week tradition, Just ask Doug  :D

Thanks for the advice.  I've done two rebuilds on the car in the last three years (5spd conversion and rebuilt 390 this winter) so I was actually planning to leave it alone next year, so knock on wood it wouldn't need any major work to be ready. 

Took the day off next Friday to finally take it to the track, no idea what it'll run, but it's not anywhere close to fast so it'd just be for the experience of going.  I'm not a car show guy but something like this appeals to me.  I've drag raced a bit but sitting around all day to make two passes got old, this makes more sense to me. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
You can travel any hours that you want, as long as you make the track the next day and get a run in by the end of the day. Not trying to talk you out of it, but there will be long wait lines in the staging lanes. The plus side is you can just walk around and look at cars and watch racing before and after you race. You can race early and enjoy the rest of the day, or race late and enjoy the early part. The experience is worth it, trust me. You'll meet people and make friends that make you want to go back the next year. And yes, you won't need a trailer with your car, just keep it basic and you'll have fun.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
Thanks for the sharing your thoughts, Doug.  I'll look into it, as stated it's never going to be easier to do something like this, I can easily stay at my house a couple nights when it's at VMP.  I'd be OK with a wait in the staging lanes for something like this, just never understood 4hrs to get one run in when I went to VMP on a standard test and tune night, and paid 40bucks for the experience. 

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
This track selection has me wondering about signing up.....I have relatives that live on the eastern shore of Maryland that I'd like to see anyhow. I did a project for work that was in Middleburg Virginia. While I was living out there I went and followed the 422 allstars guys around at a few different events, their circuit is this same chunk of tracks. I liked all of the tracks, each for a different reason. I believe Cecil County is the track that folks go to try and run a number. The track is slightly downhill.

I'm with Chilly, knowing the area a bit, there's definitely back routes and certain drive times that make the area not so bad to manage for traffic.

The only problem for me, getting the car done!
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »

I'll have to read up on rules, do you have to travel during prescribed hours or can you wait out rush hours and such? 

May be looking at this with rose colored glasses but tough to pass up being that it begins/ends 40mi from my house.

You need to do the set route and checkpoints Hot Rod puts out each day, but there are no prescribed times. As long as you get to the next track each day before they close the staging lanes you're good. There are a few strategies people employ, some try to do just one pass right away in the morning and get on the road right away, others run later at night. No reason you can't take a break for dinner or maintenance and sit out traffic for a while either. Of course best laid plans...

You can get off the official route too if needed, either for parts runs, repairs,etc., or to get to where you're staying, as long as you get back on the official route at the same place again. So if home is close no reason you can't stay there, just as long as you travel the official route.   
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »
Hot Rod officially announced the Drag Week 2019 tracks today. Planning for Drag Week 2019 starts today! Only 51 short weeks to get ready.

That's about a 22 hr drive for me to get to the starting point. I'll have to give it some thought. Rocky Mountain Race Week sounds like a better option for me next year. Along with being a lot closer it will most likely be less congested too, traffic-wise.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 07:51:33 PM »
That's a decent group of tracks and a nice ride...

How did this year's fair with the weather, anything get canx'd?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

millerptl

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
Had a great Dragweek 2018. As always could not of done it without my dad, Jack Miller. Not one issue with the cougar. 90% of the time the engine ran at 180 and the tranny at 165. Climbing the mountains from NC to VA the engine max’d at 200 and the tranny at 180. We did try a different cam this year but it didn’t respond quite like we hoped, maybe the springs are a little week or maybe this cam wants more compression to wake up, but I’m sure Blair and my dad will be coming up with a plan. The biggest issue I need to iron out is how to make this car leave off the trans break. It just won’t do it. It will only leave off idle. I’ve got to figure out the leaf spring/cal track combo. Anyways, very happy for the win at Dragweek.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »
Congrats you did a great job. Along with everybody else. Plus another FE WIN. They talked about you and your dad a lot you should be proud of yourself and dad.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
Congratulations, Scott. Another great year for you guys. I noticed you still weren't using the trans break, but still pulling a heck-of-a ET just leaving off idle! Hopefully you'll get some help getting that brake figured out without blowing the tires off. Has to be some decent ET left there when you do.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »
Great win Scott, congrats!  Next year's tracks look like they will be pretty close to you guys, so hopefully you can make it three in a row!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Congrats on the win Scott awesome car you have
It was great meeting you in commerce
Hopefully I’ll be there next year with the fairlane
Russ
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
Congratulations on the win Scott, and to your dad too. It was fun watching the runs this year.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2018, 06:03:53 PM »
Congrats Scott, to you and Mr. Jack.  A job well done.  Glad to see the  Cougar take it home again !
Blair Patrick

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
Drag week 2018 was like a cross between a trip to Disneyland and the Baton death march. 

Despite the extreme heat at times, it was a great drag week for me, finally getting the HemiCoupe where it belongs.  The car performed very well for being new and mostly unproven. Zero breakdowns. The only repair was a blown header gasket, an easy fix for my able Trunk Monkey. I came in 4th in the Hot Rod class. There was .4 seconds separating me from the winner, so it was a close race. There is a lot more in the car, I have a good to-do list for both on track and off. I just booked the rooms for 2019!

Congrats to TOm Bailey for the hard earned wins, congrats to all who won their class, and to all who finished! And thanks to Jeff (Jerico GTX for being a Trunk Monk extraordinaire!