Author Topic: any one in canada ab have an empty trailer going to us?  (Read 1469 times)

hbstang

• View Profile
any one in canada ab have an empty trailer going to us?
« on: June 26, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
trying to buy a race car close to calgary canada and was looking for advice on shipping or moving the car to the states?anyone here do that?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 04:36:20 PM by hbstang »

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Re: any one in canada ab have an empty trailer going to us?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »
Much easier to go get it yourself.  I pulled a '59 Mercury M100 Panel truck out of Winnipeg a couple of summers ago.  I called up to the border crossing (1-29 - Pembina, ND).  They were very helpful in telling me what paper work I needed to fill out.  I had all the paper work with me when I showed up, it was easy in / easy out.  In fact, they never even opened the trailer to look at the truck.  I could have had a half a ton of Bolivian marching powder in there and no one was the wiser.  That said, it is much easier to import race cars and vintage cars than it is "modern" cars.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
Yes, I've bought cars in Canada and brought them into the states and also hauled stuff into Canada. Getting into the states is usually easier. Despite what many will say about how easy or hard it is, what it really boils down to is your attitude and whether the border agent you get that day had their morning coffee and doughnut and no one interrupted their brake.

I've gone thru where they've hardly looked at the VIN and sent me thru, and I've sat for 3 hours while they went over every inch and piece of paper until something more interesting came along. That was actually kinda funny now, but I was sure irritated at the time. It was an ATV (89 Hond TRX250R) that a bike shop that a friend of mine owned built. The owner sold it to another friend of mine who then sold it to a friend of mine in Canada and then I bought it from him and brought it back to the states. They were slow at the crossing and this was shiny so they spent extra time. Thing is, I had 2 previous titles, build sheet, bills of sale, Canadian import paperwork, US export paperwork, etc. from all the people who had owned it so it was very well documented. Then someone rolled in behind me that looked like they'd spent all weekend smoking weed and suddenly my deal wasn't interesting anymore.

Generally as long as you are polite and have the paperwork the US agents are pretty easy to deal with.

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:20:35 PM »
The border is closed until at least July 21. Only essential travel and immediate family of Canadians are allowed in.

T U Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:16:59 AM »
A friend of mine works for the Border Patrol on the AB/MT line and said it is unlikely our friends to the north will open up any time soon.  Maybe not even until late fall or the first of the year...
Doug

‘65 Fastback Mustang
‘66 Fairlane GT

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
I may need to build a ramp or dig a tunnel to get to Las Vegas for SEMA. Or fly. You can still fly between countries. There are other loopholes, Native Indian, first responder/health care worker and commercial truck driver are all allowed across as is travelling through to Alaska.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
A friend of mine works for the Border Patrol on the AB/MT line and said it is unlikely our friends to the north will open up any time soon.  Maybe not even until late fall or the first of the year...
to me thats crazy to shut it down for so long.this car was to be here already,they were going to bring it with there other race cars to vegas for a race and that was canceled.this is a RACE car full chassis car with no vin or any registration.
one transporter told me it would have to sit in an impound yard for 30 days and cost $2k to get to great falls!