Author Topic: Well that's that. I am officially unemployed  (Read 6044 times)

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Re: Well that's that. I am officially unemployed
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 12:21:17 PM »
I cannot put into words how much I love being retired.

After 40 years of working on Volvo and Mercedes Benz automobiles my distaste for the modern automobile was getting unbearable. Having my own shop for 21 of those 40 years was ok, but my interest in spending half my day on a laptop jumping through hoops getting check engine and service lights to go off, dealing with maddened customers battling the California Smog Check System, and the overall unfriendliness to business in California, the interest in keeping the shop had waned years ago. We had done well financially and I was able to retire at 58, 2 years ago.

I brought my tools home but threw ALL of my scan tools into the garbage can. Only the folks that have known me over the years know that I was ever an auto tech. When asked what I did before retirement I say the same thing that Maxwell Smart would say...I was in the greeting card business. We take my wife's Buick La Crosse to the steelership for service and I just say "fix it".

I am never bored unless I choose to be. I do eat too much and exercise too little. I was done long before I hung up the wrenches so I had nothing to get used to except for enjoying life daily. It was like moving to a resort and doing what you want every day, 'cept when the missus tells you otherwise.

BTW, Mrs.-T still works, from home, and says she likes it...a concept that is completely foreign to me.   

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
21 days left in the USAF for me and I will hang up my "birds" and be a civilian...

Not really able to retire completely, but the idea is crazy to me right now, haven't wrapped my arms around not being in the military after 25.5 years.

Maybe I will be a Walmart greeter or maybe even wipe the carts, sounds like job security to me!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
21 days left in the USAF for me and I will hang up my "birds" and be a civilian...

Not really able to retire completely, but the idea is crazy to me right now, haven't wrapped my arms around not being in the military after 25.5 years.

Maybe I will be a Walmart greeter or maybe even wipe the carts, sounds like job security to me!
Congratulations and Thank You for your service! I had gleaned hints that retirement was closer than farther but had no idea it was this close

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »
After 40 years of working on Volvo and Mercedes Benz automobiles my distaste for the modern automobile was getting unbearable.

I can't overstate how true this statement is! I absolutely hate modern cars, and I'm sick of working on pretty much anything "modern". Doesn't matter if it's a lawnmower, a car or a tractor, none of them are designed in a way to be worked on easily, or at all  >:(
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
I'm retired from cars and FEs.  Too much damn work for an old fart.  Reloading and shooting is more my speed now.

mike7570

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »
I can't imagine life without getting up and going to work, I have been employed steadily for 46yrs.  That said I'm planning on retiring at the end of this year and I'm counting down the days. Seems like time has slowed down to a crawl LOL.  I'm most looking forward to having enough time to finish my car. There is just not enough hours on the weekends to fit in car  building with the regular house maintenance and honey do list.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 12:24:43 AM »
Nice group there Afret :)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 09:32:46 AM »
I figure I would work right up until 20 minutes before my funeral. However, after being shut down for 10 weeks by the wonderful governor of Penisylvania, I could get used to being retired. Two more years.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner