Author Topic: 585" SOHC  (Read 10817 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: 585" SOHC
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
I saw that the newer corvettes have a twin turbo backage that runs off of exhaust gasses toward the tail pipes.  Both turbos tuck up under the rear bumper and suck cool air from behind the car.  Pretty neat to see this project come to life.  Looking forward to it!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
I recall you once mentioning it was difficult to shift the Galaxie with the column shifter. I'd thought about it with no "stop's" and having your right arm un-supported trying to only move the shift lever on click...You must have upgraded the factory column shifter so it does not resemble pulling on a slot-machine lever?

I was thinking about your intention to install the Turbo's and intercooler in the Gal's trunk..... Like to throw out a NASA Tech Brief's advertiser had stainless tubing discharging liquid nitrogen -320F and a bare hand holding the tubing. They utilized tube inside tube with a vacuum separating the tubes. The vacuum isolates the temp from the outer shell because vacuum does not transfer temp. Daydreaming, if you were to use a high dollar alloy for the inside tube (it's not able to dissipate heat so the inside tubing will get and stay HOT) With that same point you'd be able to keep exhaust gasses hot which I'd presume should keep turbo lag down from the exhaust point of view. 
     I scored some magnificent 3" 180-degree fabricated 9" OD stainless bends that were in my customer's dairy products plant's heat exchangers.  They used a cluster of 3/4" tubes within the 10' straight 3" tubes....to I presume do something with the pasteurization process. Perhaps entertain using your tubing from the trunk to the motor as an integral part of or section of your inter-cooler..????.....I have a feeling the added distance to the passenger seat area vs the trunk will have effects on lag. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »
I think that extra tubing would add too much weight to a car that's too heavy already.  Ceramic coating the complete exhaust is my plan.  Also, I don't really care about turbo lag.  Driving around town I'll have a 500" SOHC to get me from stoplight to stoplight; no boost needed.  In fact, if I had quick boost on the street I'd go from 600-700 HP naturally aspirated to 1500 HP and just blow away the tires.  This engine won't need (or want) boost on the street, so turbo lag is not a concern.

At the track, I'll build boost at the line after lighting the pre-stage light by revving against the trans brake, then bump into the stage light with a bump box.  That way when the tree comes down and the last yellow flashes I can leave with full boost.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »
Do you have any more beans you can spill on the turbo setup? I'm wondering sizes that you picked out and such. Seems like you can get carried away trying to pick just the right turbo for your application.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com