Author Topic: Solution for a problem that doesn't exist?  (Read 1144 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Solution for a problem that doesn't exist?
« on: June 26, 2022, 06:26:53 PM »
I have been told for a long not to waste my time thinking.
Well today I was thinking about centering the cam lobes on thr bottom of the lifter's.
Would there be any advantage to making a screw in adjustable plug to replace the plug at the rear of the camshaft.
I know the persent system works and has for a long time.
What I was thinking was to build a threaded collar and tap threads where the cam plug mounts. Thead the collar into the block replaceing the cam plug.
Then take a torrington bearing of thr correct diameter with a adjusting allen head nut on it where you adjust the cam in and out from the rear to set your endplay and stablize the position of the camshaft.
The inside of the collar would need to be threaded for the adjuster to work.
Bad ideal?
Greg

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Solution for a problem that doesn't exist?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 06:54:55 PM »
What are you going to do about the timing gear?  With a flat tappet, the lifter's convex face rides a slightly tapered cam lobe causing the lifter to spin.  If the lifter doesn't spin, the cam eats it.  If you move the cam, you move the contact point on the lifter and could put the lifter/lobe relationship in jeopardy.  On some engines, like Chevys, under high spring pressure, the lifters want to push the cam forward.  They use a cam button to contain the movement.  The FE uses a cam retainer thrust plate.  The cam can and does move a little, but very little.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 07:26:35 PM »
I wasn't going to do anything to the timing gear. I was just going to use the adapter to center the lobe's under the lifter's.
Not trying to lock the cam in one position.
The lifters would still spin.
You would still have the .005 or whaterever you want of endplay.
The reason I was thinking about this is a friend has a 428 industrial engine and when we pulled it apart yesterday the lifter's were only riding on about a third of the cam lobe. 
I really don't think it would make any difference in a normal street engine but might in a high reving race engine.
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:34:54 AM »
That would push the cam up against the inside of the thrust plate.  I think you'd get wear there very quickly.   Camshaft thrust is meant to float, not to be pushed hard in one direction.  This would be similar to your crank thrust bearing.  If you drive down the road with your foot on the clutch pedal, it will be mashing the crank up against the bearing.  You still have end play, but it wouldn't do any good.

The cam lobes not being centered isn't anything to worry about.  As Gerry pointed out, the geometry of everything there is what makes a flat tappet work. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 05:57:42 AM »
Man oh man....don't even try.   Not only does the problem not exist and the two ends of the cam would hit where they shouldn't, you would take something out you NEED with a flat tappet

There is taper to spin the lifter but it is 100% certain that offset on purpose to actually force the spin.  If it wasn't there, even with taper, it'd just wedge under spring pressure and stick a lifter.  I bet it wouldn't last 2 minutes

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 08:59:49 AM »
Ok
That one goes in the trash can.
Why I  like this forum.
On some of the things I don't understand I can be corrected.
Greg

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 12:44:52 PM »
keep on thinking , that is how we improve. sometimes for good and sometimes not, but it  is all good. whups,started to sound like harris

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 09:40:17 PM »
Even if your idea was not a home run you get props for throwing it out there, (in my book).
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 08:19:31 AM »
It is an interesting little area of the block. So low tech it makes you pause then go look at an oiling diagram and think well, ok.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 11:00:52 AM »
I have a lot of ideals, some of them work out and some don't.
That is why I go to the expert's on area's that I am weak in.
On my steam-electric hybird I went to the sream locomotive club  for advice and to see if the ideal was feasable.
When I do have a ideal I like to get all the reason's it will work or not and all reply's are welcome.
Greg