Author Topic: Unsteady Idle  (Read 1247 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
Unsteady Idle
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:54:46 PM »
I have a factory dist with a petronix...18 int, 38total and my idle is set at 900rpm. My idle is always
Changing....sometimes it’s 900 tonight 1050 and on the way home 800rpm what’s going on
Jon

fastf67

• View Profile
Re: Unsteady Idle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:31 AM »
Nobody else, my 2 cents and here's both: LOL
I think I would be looking more at the fuel system, not so much the dizzy for erratic idle jumps. Are you using a timing light and seeing it move? A dizzy problem usually moves slower up or down the rpm range or cuts out. It could happen just not as likely, and with your past posts I've seen you had a carb issue also after the body shop? Any air leaks around throttle shafts or vac lines? shafts closing correctly to the transition slots? A air to fuel ratio in the idle circuit can change rpm fast and easily.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
Ditto, I'd look at the carb.  make sure it has enough spring to return fully.  Make sure secondaries aren't opening/changing.

I'd also just check to make sure advance plate is returning fully.  If it can move around at idle, that could be screwing with you also.
Larry

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
Took the plate off the dust, there was a sleeve on the post. The sleeve had come off
Jon