Author Topic: 1965 Galaxie project need FE help  (Read 9812 times)

Barton

• View Profile
Re: 1965 Galaxie project need FE help
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
I picked up the engine but I can't find any usable casting to help me I.d. This thing
I have found the 352 casting with 61 above it and it also has 9z637628 stamped below the passenger side head.
Any thoughts?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 05:06:08 AM »
That number is a partial vin number.
The 9 means year, the Z means St. Louis, and the digits is the number of car down the line.
What you have there is a 1969 390 which was installed in a big Merc and if you look at the cast number on the filter pad
it will tell you the day the block was cast.
Good Stuff.

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »
Dont worry about the port mis-match.  Get the engine, 360 or what ever it is.  Put it in and run it (put the 352 4 V on it you want or not.)  Then you can rebuild the 352,

I will comment that you will need to contact someone like Barry Robotnic at www.survivalmotorsports.com if you really want to make a 352 or a 360 into a true 11:1 motor.  You will need custom pistons.

My personal opinion, if you use a 352, dont stray too far from stock, those engine RUN SOO SMOOTH, that is a great virtue, dont ruin that.  But if you do decide to rebuild the 390, you can get to 11 to 1 much more easily because it has a longer stroke, more cubes for same head CC. Check the date code on the block (behind the oil filter on the tab.  Some 390s are low compression truck engines, they will run just fine, but will not be putting out all the beans the can.

You can put all your 352 stuff right on it, and it will look totally stock.

BTW, really cool about finding a manual trans sedan.  Great fun hotrod/family car.  I have a 1964 500 Sedan 4 door, we love it.  Pile the kids and fishing poles and kites and lunch boxes and ,,, and ,,, and into the trunk and go out for a fun day.

Have FUN with your project.

Barton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 07:44:25 PM »
Been a while since I updated, I got the 390 running got the junk burned out of the exhaust. She runs great but has a little hesitation on the low end and is lacking power near idle.
I rebuild the carb before I put it on was fouled up pretty bad seems the more I run it the better she gets.
My next concern is the trunk and frame under the trunk. I'm planning on boxing the frame under the trunk. Well see how this goes. And then replace the trunk floor.
Been busy with the life with kids now up to 3 of them....

I will throw pics up tonight of how she's looking.