Author Topic: Venting....2017 Ford Fusion Sport - blown engine  (Read 4182 times)

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
Venting....2017 Ford Fusion Sport - blown engine
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
I wish it was the cool kind of blown engine with big wide cogged belts or a big turbo sticking through the roof.  But no, with about 75,000 miles on the clock, the engine is checking out.  According to Ford, the heads have a design defect in them so the head gaskets are slowly going which is why I get a random check-engine and cylinder mis-fire.  TSB's are out there for the repair, and other vehicles with the same engine have been recalled - but not the lowly Fusion Sport.    Feedback from Ford Corporate was we can take, $1,000 off the $8,500 dollar bill to replace both heads and all the gaskets (25 hour job) but not much else.

I have to say I'm torn - I know its out of warranty but its a known design flaw that forced recalls on other vehicles with the 2.7L.  Really gives me pause whether or not to buy another Ford.  All services were done by Ford as well.  My old fusion went over 210,000 miles and never missed a beat.

I guess buyer beware next time to spring for the extended warranty.  Its too bad too - this car was an absolute dream to drive.

Joe
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:28:06 PM by Cyclone Joe »

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Ford Fusion Sport - blown engine
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »
Exactly, its not like there aren't complaints to warrant the recall.  Pure guess - they didnt build many of them so as a result they probably can justify not recalling them.

winr1

Re: Venting....2017 Ford Fusion Sport - blown engine
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
What is the reason the heads have to be replaced and not repaired ??

Ricky.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
I agree that this sucks, and I believe that a known problem should looked into, and adressed. But after recently retiring from over 2 decades at a Toyota dealership, don`t think that its just a Ford issue. I always found it rather strange that if any of the "big 3" had a major issue, the TV stations,Newspapers and car magazines were all over it , yet it seems that many of the non American brands seem to be immune from bad press for the most part.When people hear that I own a Ford V10 truck, I often get the old" how often have the spark plugs blown out, broke inside the head, or stripped the threads out in the heads" (Zero on any of these "common problems"), yet you rarely hear about some Toyotas having the head bolt threads in the block pull out, excessive oil consumption on certain 4 cylinder models, major sludge issues on some V6s, major frame rust out issues on fairly new trucks, premature water pump failures, electrical wiring that rats find too tasty to resist, among many other things, you have to wonder. And don`t even get me started on my 10 years at Hyundai before that !
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 11:09:35 PM »
Man that sucks.  The 2.0L Ecoboost in my 2014 Fusion is loads of fun and has never missed a beat.  I was keeping an eye out for a deal on a 2.7L Sport.  Maybe I should set my sights on something else.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:59 AM »
you rarely hear about some Toyotas having the head bolt threads in the block pull out, excessive oil consumption on certain 4 cylinder models, major sludge issues on some V6s, major frame rust out issues on fairly new trucks, premature water pump failures, electrical wiring that rats find too tasty to resist, among many other things, you have to wonder. And don`t even get me started on my 10 years at Hyundai before that !

Oh yeah, the 1ZZFE engine in my parents old car--it racked up some miles and never left them stranded, but it burned oil horribly.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »
I realize this stuff happens to all makes, but I hate reading stuff like this.  It absolutely contributes to the perception that Domestic vehicles are sub-par.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
I don't buy any new car without 6 yr/100K.  Period.  Stuff happens.  If you doubt that LOL, our new 2020 F-350 7.3L just got a new engine at 1700 miles.  Engine assembly problem, potential piston cooler mount defect.  Not an extended warranty thing, but now I drive a brand new truck on it's 2nd engine, a brand new design that took the dealer a week to do because no one  - mechanics, or other service types - have ever taken a wrench to this deal.  The senior tech thought if it was like most others, 2 days and out.  Ended up 8 days plus one trip on a rollback after hand off + one more day = 9 total. 

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »
Don't get me started on my 94 Taurus wagon that had bad head gaskets, cracked trans. diaphragm, ac compressor failure, window regulator corrosion, and major rear end alignment issues all in before or just after the 60k warranty.  Nice car at the time and drove well, piece of you know what otherwise.

Have gone through a couple of Ford trucks since, better but still no great deal, 2000 f150 was a rust bucket in short time and the 1998 Expedition had head gasket issues.  Both trucks had major frame or suspension member rust after a dozen years or so which I do not consider acceptable.

Sorry but my Honda's and Acura's are superior.  Honda's V6 is bulletproof.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 10:17:35 AM »
If it's off warranty I think I would try cutting the heads, new gaskets, and bolts if required, would even be nicer if ARP makes a stud.  You'd likely never have to touch it again.  Then decide later about flipping it or just drive off. 

ON EDIT: After looking at the complaints, I guess the question would be whether its a head gasket or cracked block. Does anyone have truth data on what is failing?  I'd would assume it's worse than a head gasket or Ford would repair rather than replace
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:54:49 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »
I had a 2015 Focus SE I bought before I retired, I ordered it loaded up with extras. I was assured the multi Clutch transmission problems had been taken care of. They were not. I had in in for reprogramming a couple times, but had gotten use to shifting it manually. I don't have it any more. But not by my actions, it got rear ended and pushed in to the back of a Dakota. I think I did better on the insurance settlement then if I had tried to sell it.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
My 2006 Nissan Altima purchased new ended up with a host of engineering and quality issues. Having owned a lot of cars (20+?) over the years, it was the absolute worst! The P/S return line was way too close to the 4-cylinder engine's exhaust manifold and it cooked over time the fluid with a total loss of steering! Hairy the first time it appeared. The dealer said it needed a new R&P assembly, over $800 but Nissan would cover the labor. Smellled a rat. I ended up sucking out the fluid (near 80%) and added new stuff, sucked that out a few times and eventually the fluid was 100% new. Problem solved for about $25 worth of fluid.

Oh, and don't get me started on the badly rusted floors pans (another common issue, the cowl water seeped down between the pressed steel floor pans) the tiny rear brake calipers and pads (did the rears myself twice before the fronts even got down to say 25% left!) the spidery look to the inside rear view mirror (making it look like a 100 year old bedroom mirror, in a car 5 years old!), the badly faded paint on the tops of both outside mirrors and more. Never another Nissan, ever!

Btw, next daily driver was a Kia Optima and I gotta say, it was just about the best, most trouble-free car I have ever owned. Hated to trade it in for the Audi but I had too many other Mustangs in the garage. Shoulda' kept it anyway............   
Bob Maag

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 05:56:04 PM »
Ross,
It appears to be the head having a design defect allowing the the pressure and thermal cycles to 'work' the head gasket until it fails adjacent to one of the cooling pass-throughs.  The new heads are over half the cost of the job.

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »
And to Rory, the reason I'll never buy another Toyota was due to the head gasket issue in my 1997 Toyota Tacoma 2WD that had the ominous 3.4L 5VZFE V-6.  At least Toyota had the decency to replace both head gaskets under warranty. The timing belt bolt/washer combo was a peach to figure out without the internet though!  Maybe Im just too picky!

V/R
Joe