Author Topic: New Heads VS total rebuild on C8OE CJ heads - Your opinions?  (Read 11707 times)

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
my 428 progress and my old 292 GMC L6 has sodium valves,
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
...but they were much thicker stem, and the L6 was about 120#s open, maybe #50 closed  (well not that low, but i could open the valves with my hand when the head was on the bench, and it was built by a reputable shop, on and the cam lift was like 0.39 or 0.44, something really small.

Anyway, i decided in the interest of time and speed, to rebuild my spare 428 engine 100% stock CJ spec (0.030 over bore, std/std crank and rods), down to the stock CJ cam, except the intake will be either a correct for my 64 Galaxie C4 cast iron 4v (gulp!) that i have or the PI intake, and will use the Sanderson Headers. The reason for the stock cast iron idea was it matched the power range of the GT/CJ cam.  Also it has a fill pipe so i can run the stock red Baldy round FORD valve covers i have from a 1958 Fairlane 352 car.

I am picking up my 100% reconditioned stock 1966 heads that match the 1966 428 Tbird engine i have. Valves are totally new stock chromed valves, 0.15 over stems so the guides could be reamed out, not requiring inserts. Hard exhaust seats.  I had the heads, total cost $700.

I have a new 428 balance flywheel coming in the mail.  Jegs recommended the PRW SFI rated one with the removable weight (so i can put it on a 390), overnight shipping included with CA tax was $330.  I hope the quality is ok for a driver. New water pump and fuel pump and MSC items. $200.

I will then find another block (i dont think its worth it to sleeve my broken 1968 block.  Then I rebuild either build another 410/428 or a 445/462 with a stroker crank, and will use Jay's intake adapter, timing cover, the hot solid cam i have (or my 270H i have or a 282S style but on a 112 separation depending on the intended use.

PS i have a set of usable 0.030 over 428 pistons available now, but with domes cut down about 1/16 or 3/32 for sale.  Might be useful if someone offset ground a crank?  Not sure if they are cut enough for a 4.125 crank, i need to measure them.  Anyway price is $1.00 for the set of 8 (but you have to pay shipping).  I know this is a classified add, but i figure for $1.00 i could get away with it here.

Anyway, i hope to get the engine together this weekend, and with any luck, into the car.  But with no garage, and family activities, i am not sure how car i can get.

PS, i want to mention the importance of Coors beer: my neighbor came over to see what was going on, now my motor progress was going, and he offered me a cool one.  So i chilled out for a minute before put on the oil pan.  As i showed him the progress, i realized i had forgotten the oil pump drive rod!!!  Wow, that was a close one.  If not for the neighbor and a Coors, i would have had a big headache later!

Also during assembly i found that one reason the motor may have been pulled out of the truck it was in was because the damper had slipped!  It was 20+* off!  It must have been confusing to try to time to get to run right!

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
Update:
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
OK, realizing I don't have budget or time to build a 462 with alum heads just now, and I inventoried my parts, I decided to build a 100%stock 428 with a CJ cam and the PI intake. Infact I was going to even run the cast iron C4 intake, but I didn't have the bypass pipe and other plugs on hand.

I had my stock C6AE-R heads 100% rebuilt, used 0.015 oversized stems so we did not have to install guild inserts. Hard exhaust seats and new stock GT/CJ spring, 95# seat, 240 open.

I got it all together yesterday. Today I hope to pull the broken block out of the car.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: New Heads VS total rebuild on C8OE CJ heads - Your opinions?
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
Sounds like a great match for the car, and I like the PI intake for a stout cruiser.

Any chance to get headers on it, or maybe cast iron Ford shorties?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
Headers...New Heads VS total rebuild on C8OE CJ heads - Your opinions?
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 12:19:45 AM »
Car iron shorties would be a great match, but...

For now I have Sanderson ceramic coated 1 3/4 tube Shorties, I like them OK. 3" collector, but they came with 2.5 reducers, so it's 2.5"  pipes down to under car, step up to 3" under car, 2.5 H pipe at back of transmission, 3 " magnaflow box straight through offset mufflers, then 2.5" over axel and exit to rear corners with turndowns, looks like stock.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: New Heads VS total rebuild on C8OE CJ heads - Your opinions?
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 06:06:07 AM »
That's good enough for me...I was mostly wondering if you were going to use stock manifolds, that should be a nice running machine!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch