Author Topic: 70th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima  (Read 2952 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
70th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:29 PM »
 My Dad was part of the Army of Occupation in Japan after the War. He was involved with the clean up operations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I remember he had some fairly gruesome stories of that time. He died at age 53 of Cancer of the spine. I have always wonder if his time spent there had anything to do with is death.
http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/remembering-the-bomb-that-changed-the-world/

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: 70th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »
I wouldn't doubt that the occupation near the blast zone had something to do with his illness.  So little was known at the time about the long term effects, and there are certainly many credible reports from Japan about their citizens who died of unusual cancers and other conditions linked to radiation from the explosion.  Let's hope we never have to use those weapons again...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

57 lima bean

Louie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
My Dad was part of the Army of Occupation in Japan after the War. He was involved with the clean up operations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I remember he had some fairly gruesome stories of that time. He died at age 53 of Cancer of the spine. I have always wonder if his time spent there had anything to do with is death.
http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/remembering-the-bomb-that-changed-the-world/
Alan, My father was in the same situation with the same outcome. He was assigned to 2d ID(fwd). Died in '58 @ 38yo from a non-specific cancer that started in his abdomen. It ate him up. 
My mother was a member of MacArthur's secretarial pool in Tokyo. When my dad transferred back to the states, MacArthur gave her an inkwell that sat on his desk. I have it today.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
Let's hope we never have to use those weapons again...

Amen to that! And even more so, lets hope no rogue nut cases gets their hands on them!

When you look at a map and time-line of ALL the nuclear testing that has happened since Hiroshima, it's amazing that everyone isn't dead from radiation fallout and poisoning.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:37:49 AM »
When the Russians blew up their powerplant in
tjernobyl in 86 i think. We got much of the fallout
in Sweden. And most of it landed around my wifes
hometown.Fortunatly she moved a couple of years
later.Now a lot of her realtives and childhood friends
are either dead or have cancer :'(

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it