FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2014

The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 11

<< < (2/8) > >>

jayb:
Bob, I have never figured out that problem.  It is still a mystery to me.  For what it's worth, I kept that problem in mind when I specified the pistons for the engine I'm assembling now, and there is quite a bit more radial clearance around the valve with these pistons.  So, if the same problem occurs, regardless of the unknown cause, the piston design on this engine should prevent any contact with the valve.

machoneman:
Thanks Jay! Good idea on increasing that radial clearance. I'll bet you also have one of those inexpensive borescopes (sp?) to look into the bores after some running time.   

jayb:
I do have one of those, the operative word being "inexpensive" LOL!  Pretty hard to see anything with it, but after the dyno sessions it will certainly be worth a look.

cobracammer:
Hey Jay....  2 quick questions.  1st, are all the bolts the same thread size on this engine?  (i.e the dummy bolts for sealing the gaskets?)

and second question is the checker springs on the heads.  Would you mind breaking down how you set the timing with the checker spring? (I wasn't sure if this was a step you did specifically because of the Cams you used?  Wanted to see if I also needed to purchase checker springs for my build)

Thanks

jayb:
The bolts in the front cover are a variety of sizes.  Most are 3/8" or 5/16", but there are a couple of 7/16" and a couple of 1/2" also, if you include the bolts for the chain tensioner and the fuel pump gear stand.

I will go over setting the timing in detail in a later installment on this board, either next weekend or the weekend after.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version