Author Topic: FE Intake Adapter  (Read 327361 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: FE Intake Adapter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
Been a tough month for progress on this project, but heading into Christmas I finally have my trunnion table setup working and am starting to get some quotes on the patterns and castings for the manifolds.  The trunnion table took me until yesterday to get it finished and working.  This is because the rotary table I purchased for the CNC machine required a different driver amplifier than the one that was in the machine.  The machine was built in 1996, and back then all of them came with brushed servo motors.  Sometime in 1999 or 2000 Haas changed to brushless servo motors, which are supposed to be stronger and longer lasting than the brushed versions.  But since my machine was a 1996 I figured it had the brushed servo motors and the associated drivers.

Unfortunately, when I plugged in the HRT-310 rotary table, it didn't work properly and gave me a bunch of errors.  I scheduled one of the service techs to come out and take a look, and he informed me that all four axes on my machine had been converted to brushless servos at sometime in its life.  Well, I was really happy about that, because they are better, but unfortunately I had purchased a rotary table with a brushed servo motor.  So, I had to replace the fourth axis brushless servo amplifier in the cabinet with a brushed servo amplifier.  $500 later, the rotary table was working fine.

When I finally got the rotary table working I hooked up the trunnion table I had machined and checked it seven ways from Sunday to make sure it was squared up and straight.  The most I could measure was a half a thousandth runout over the full 36" of the table, with the rotary table end a little bit higher than the support end.  I thought those were pretty good results, and hard fought too, given how much trouble I had machining this thing.  I had purchased a 5" vise that could be bolted on the table to hold smaller pieces, so next I machined some slots in the trunnion table surface for the vise keys, to hold it square and centered on the table, and also drilled and tapped a couple of holes for bolts to hold the vise in place.  Here's a picture of the machining operation in progress:

I got done with the machining yesterday, and bolted on the vise, and I was done.  Here's a video of the trunnion table being rotated around through 360 degrees with the vise installed.  When I machine the intake manifolds I'll be replacing the vise with a fixture that the manifolds will bolt to; this will sure make it much simpler to machine the manifolds.

http://youtu.be/bpVIlkU8v1Q

I've also been starting to get some quotes on the patterns and castings, and things have changed a little bit in this business since I first got the quotes back in April.  One thing is that, believe it or not, the cost of casting sand has nearly doubled over the last 8 months.  The foundries are saying that it is because of the fracking business; the oil companies are buying all the sand they can get for fracking operations, driving up the price for everybody else.  So suddenly the price of the castings that I'm getting quoted has gone way up.  I have more quotes coming, and I haven't started negotiating prices with anybody yet, so we'll see if the pricing will come back down to similar levels that I saw last April before I'm done.  I'll know about that by mid-January, and about that time I should be pulling the trigger on the patterns.  Most of the pattern quotes are coming in at a lead time of 4 weeks, which means I should have castings at the end of February.  Looking forward to that...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:46:12 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
That is a very kool mill Jay! 8)
I could do some whittling with that.
Mine has crank handles. ::)

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
Very cool....price increase or not....I am still in for one...but probably two.....Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
That is a very kool mill Jay! 8)
I could do some whittling with that.
Mine has crank handles. ::)
Mine has cranks too... Would be cool to have something like Jay does, but then I would have to learn how to program it , think my brain hurts thinking about having to do that. 

Still in for at least two manifolds unless price changes drastically, then will reaccess.
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Thanks for the update, and excellent work on those fixtures. Should result in a high quality item!  With many new discoveries being made in "unconventional" reservoirs it should drastically change our energy self-sufficiency for the better in coming years.  These types of reservoirs have porosity but very low permeability so they must be stimulated or "fracked". Liquid with sand pumped at High pressure is used to hydraulically open up the permeability and the sand fills the openings created to keep them open so the oil or gas can be produced.  Hopefully the producers of the sand used can react to this new demand and result in lower the prices over time.  Btw, would love to see pictures of the pattern once its finished. They can really be works of art! 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

fe66comet

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Jay you are the Dr Frankenstein of Fords LOL a monster creator indeed.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »
Well, it took a while, but I finally got my pattern shop and casting foundry picked out for this project, and got the ball rolling there.  The whole pattern maker / foundry deal was rather interesting.  I called several foundries in my area to see about doing this work, and also a couple of out of state foundries.  Each foundry had a particular pattern maker that they prefer to deal with, so I ended up getting quotes on this project in pairs, one quote from the pattern maker and one quote from the foundry.  As it turned out, I liked one particular pattern maker / foundry the best, because they had experience with automotive parts (the pattern maker had a casting of a flathead intake manifold on his desk that he had done the patterns for), and the foundry was relatively inexpensive on the finished castings if I bought in quantities of 100.  I had previously set my financial break-even point on this project at 100 manifolds, so this dovetailed nicely with my previous estimates.  As it happened the pattern maker was also the most expensive of the ones that I got quotes from, but his patterns were more production oriented than the others I'd seen, and were also designed to work with the tooling in the foundry.  So I ended up settling on these two companies for the work.

One company that I'd had high hopes for was Edelbrock.  They advertise their foundry services as a separate product offering from their aftermarket performance products, and I thought it would have been really cool to have my intake cast up by Edelbrock.  But I was concerned about the intellectual property side of that equation, and wanted to have a standard non-disclosure agreement in place with Edelbrock before I revealed the details of the design to them.  According to the foundry manager that I talked to, the main Edelbrock office handled that sort of thing, and he sent a request over to them for a non-disclosure agreement  Unfortunately, it never came.  I called the foundry manager back twice, and he finally had me send him an email asking for the agreement, and copying someone in the corporate office at Edelbrock who would be able to provide it.  Nothing.  I was really surprised and disappointed by this, because I'd heard good things about working with Edelbrock's foundry.  But if after a month I couldn't even get a simple NDA, I had a bad feeling about going forward with them.  So, I abandoned the idea of having Edelbrock do the castings.

Today I took the afternoon off of work and spent it at the pattern maker's shop.  We went through the details of the model of the intake manifold, and the pattern maker made some changes to the model to add draft in certain spots, and remove some material in an effort to make the casting lighter.  He will be providing full size plots of the revised design for me to check by the end of this week, and assuming they look good, I will have to write him a pretty big check to get him going on the master pattern for the intake, plus the core pattern for the water jacket passage and the core patterns for the ports. 

Schedule is looking like another six weeks before the patterns are ready, and another four weeks after that before the first intakes will be cast.  I'm going to go with an initial prototype run of 5 intakes, get them heat treated and develop the machining programs, and then place my production order of 100 manifolds.  So it will be mid April before I have the castings, and probably the end of May before I'm ready to make the production order of manifolds.  So it looks like the June-July time frame before the intakes will be up for sale.  This is longer than I was hoping for, of course, but maybe it can get accelerated along the way; we'll have to see. 

Also, now that I have the quotes for the work that I'll be going with, I have a pretty good idea of how the price is going to come out.  The rising cost of sand over the last 6-12 months, plus some EPA regulations for disposing of the sand, are adding to my initial cost estimate.  Sand price is up due to the huge demand from oil exploration using the fracking process going on around the country, especially in North Dakota.  Plus, according to the foundry guy the cost of disposing of silica sand that has been treated with the binder chemicals needed for making casting forms is $0.18 per pound; disposing of the sand properly is an EPA requirement.  These two cost increases add about $50 to the cost of the castings, so right now its looking like I'll be selling the medium riser versions of the castings for around $450 each, rather than $400 as I had originally anticipated.  The high riser and tunnel port versions will be substantially more expensive, unfortunately, because I don't think I'll be able to sell anywhere near 100 of those, and so the cost of the patterns for those versions will have to be spread among much fewer manifolds.  I haven't settled on pricing for those two versions yet, but I'd expect them to be in the $650 - $750 range.

I will post another update on this project in a few weeks when the schedule firms up a little more.  Thanks again for all the interest in this project - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
Hats off to Jay for all the hard work. Good things come to those who wait. I was hoping to be racing one of the adaptors by mid May. Plan"B" will have to be a Perf. RPM.
Kevin McCullah

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
Thanks for the up-date Jay..Glad to hear it is all still moving forward..I am still in for two of the M/R manifolds...

We have to pay at work to dispose of all the sand (garnet) from our water jet.It is considered contaminated because we cut S/S...If running full tilt the machine will use an easy 600lbs a day.....Just adds to the cost of things......Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

edgar427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »
i still want one. i have the Weiand tunnel ram and pair of 660's waiting for my 445. ;)

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »
Scott Cook has a new design 351C 4500 series single plane intake almost ready for sale. This would look mighty wicked Jay on your adapter and better, would likely be one of the best single 4-bbl intakes on the dyno methinks.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214422&page=63
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:03 AM »
Wow, that is a cool intake!  Thanks for the heads up...
Jay Brown

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
Any idea what the nobby things are for on the outside of the manifold?  And I assume its an alum casting?  Looks like it could be alum or composite, it's that nice!
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

fe66comet

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Wow that is a monster. Looks like you would need a huge displacement to make it work.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
Yep, big displacement and/or almost pure race engine, per developer Scott Cook.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1359767951/Air+Supremacy

Have no idea what those funny little bumps are, unless they were from a digitized image. Come to think of it, the finish doesn't seem consistent with cast aluminum...maybe it is a composite. I'm sure Scott will reveal all in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:57:52 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag