Author Topic: Blair Patrick thanks for my Tunnelport for my 69 Torino Cobra project  (Read 59145 times)

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
I've been a member of some FE forums for years.  I've always wanted to build a stroker 427 with Tunnelport heads.  I've never seen a true high effort TP build posted.  Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anything with TP heads that screamed.

Most of you have seen Jays post about dyno days at his house with the 498 Blair built for me.  It tells a story but not the whole story.

Three years ago I found a nice set of heads and intake that I bought from Rich Mastro.  I found a nice used Pond Block.  A couple years ago I found Blair Patrick a true gentleman and a savant with the FE.

I had several restrictions with my TP build.  Like his stock class 352 that Jay posted and performed really well for what it is, Blair got stuck with many roadblocks to building max hp on my build.

My TP build does not represent a max effort TP from Blair.  It was build first with durability in mind.  I wanted several things and some of these "goals" fight against each other.  I am building a street legal road racer.  Yea than makes sense right?

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10645&page=25

1. I wanted it to run on pump gas so I can drive it whenever I want.
2. I wanted it to be mild mannered enough to drive it on the street without hating it.
3. I wanted 650+ hp
4. I wanted 650+ hp with as broad and flat a powerband as possible
5. It needs to be able to run 20-30 min sessions on a road course.
6. I don't want to be tearing it down all the time

I bought the block, heads, intake, carb and oiling system.

Blair listened to what I wanted and said he could do what I wanted.  He didn't force me into anything but educated me on the pros and cons of each choice.  He built what I wanted not what he wanted me to build. In the end he nailed it and then some.

It isn't 13 to 1 so it's giving up a lot there.
The cam makes more than the power goal I originally wanted but is "small".   The lift at the valve is only about .630 well under where max flow of the intake is but also it's easy on the valve train.  It also appears to idle with authority but still pretty mild at a reasonable RPM.
The exhaust side of the head suffers from Fords mistake in design.  Blair could have fixed it and it would make a lot more hp.  I just didn't want to spend the extra $$.  He said he could meet my hp goal without filing the floors and he was dead on.
We could have gone bigger on the bore and gained CI but it cleaned up at 4.255 so Blair said leave yourself room for the future we'll still make your hp goal. 

All I can say is anything Blair said the motor would do it does.  Hearing it on the dyno it just wants to keep running.  Smooth as silk it never seems to labor, no hiccups, it just pulls.  He brought a 4150 carb he said would run as well or better than my Dominator.  I have no reason to think it wouldn't since the one he brought to Jay before did the same thing.

When I first contacted him he said "I like building these things and don't cost any more than a chevy guy"  Man that was the truth. He didn't blink an eye about the idea of taking it to Jays dyno to prove what it would do.

I've spent the same or more on heads and machine work before but never got the level of performance.  I've seen plenty of stories on forums of problems with parts and machine work.  I think as a paying customer it is as important to tell people where they should go to get what they want.

Thanks Blair

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:23:13 PM by fetorino »

lovehamr

• View Profile
Re: Blair Patrick thanks for my Tunnelport
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
That thing sounds awesome!

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
Re: Blair Patrick thanks for my Tunnelport for my 69 Torino Cobra project
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »
For anyone not offended by wheels over 15" I added some photos of my Torino chassis.  There are a multitude of events across the country for autocross top speed and road race style competition in musclecars.  Hopefully 2014 I'll start showing up at some of them.

The focal point of the car is still the Tunnelport headed sideoiler as far as I'm concerned.

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
I'd love to see the Torino, is SORC (http://www.sorcrace.com/) included in your future plans?

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
I'd love to see the Torino, is SORC (http://www.sorcrace.com/) included in your future plans?

I sure hope so!  I'd make the drive up to Arnold, NE just to watch his Torino spank a parking lot full of corvettes.   ;D

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »

It's on the bucket list.

I'll start with RTTC and Silver state classic and work my way East. ;D

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:08:20 AM »
Rob, awesome build and superb workmanship!  I really like the idea of doing car concept drawings and getting into detail about what you want with your suppliers.  I think the great thing about Blair was that he listened to what you wanted, then lent his expertise to inform you about your choices and let you decide. When it was time to execute, he proceeded to exceed your expectations!  Does Blair have access to a dyno locally or did you just want to run on Jay's dyno? 

Btw I'm curious to know more about that 352 and the science behind those stock eliminator cars... Something you don't hear about too much.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
Blair has been using the same dyno for 10+ years I think.  The field trip to Jay's was hatched for several reasons. 

I think Jay was interested in a high effort TP build.  I was interested in going to Jays, getting a chance to meet him after knowing him in this e-world for several years and Blair like to hit the open road.  It all just worked out.

Good luck on getting info on the science behind stock eliminator cars.  You're asking for trade secrets there. ;D

The heads have to be unported and so does the intake.  They all have to be originally available pieces and the piston has to be stock or NHRA approved replacement.  So it is an exercise in blueprinting, cam choice and carb, ignition and exhaust tuning.

You could beat on that 352 of Blair's for ever and probably not blow it up.  Pretty neat piece for what it is for sure.  Just shows you can make good hp with crappy parts (and some good parts sprinkled in) if you know what you are doing.

I sure hope so!  I'd make the drive up to Arnold, NE just to watch his Torino spank a parking lot full of corvettes.   ;D

Knowbody wants that to happen more than me..... ;D

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
Chassis is done  :o

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
Holy beefy A-Arms batman!  Nice work there!  Watts link or a pan-hard on the rear end?

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
thats a pan hard bar , sweet set up, perfectly level at ride height  .....

Blair is tops in my book .. the cool thing about Blair is that he doesn't have stage 1 , stage 2 and stage3 that everybody is supposed to "fit" into ... he listens to what you want power wise , intended use and expected budget and then suggest's the best way to get there with track proven results

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
thats a pan hard bar , sweet set up, perfectly level at ride height  .....

Blair is tops in my book .. the cool thing about Blair is that he doesn't have stage 1 , stage 2 and stage3 that everybody is supposed to "fit" into ... he listens to what you want power wise , intended use and expected budget and then suggest's the best way to get there with track proven results

Correct on both counts.  Panhard bar and it's a long one frame rail to frame rail so the lateral deflection through the suspension travel is nil.  The rear splined sway bar isn't installed in the rear photo but it's there also.

And Blair is the man no doubt about that.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »
Very cool!
Bob Maag

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
Correct on both counts.  Panhard bar and it's a long one frame rail to frame rail so the lateral deflection through the suspension travel is nil.  The rear splined sway bar isn't installed in the rear photo but it's there also.

That should handle like a dream for sure.  The craftsmanship is incredible.  What brake setup are you going to be running?

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
that style shock is to rigid  ;D just saying