Author Topic: Entering the 21st Century  (Read 10183 times)

MT63AFX

• View Profile
Entering the 21st Century
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
My computer crashed earlier this week and after working with Dell they were able to restore it without formatting C:\ drive. However, being a Windows XP kinda guy from the beginning, the restoration dropped me back into the 20th century. So I'm trying Google Chrome with trepidation. Dell said some of my issues were related to XP not handling IE8, so I'm back to IE6, ugh. This new format here will take some getting used to, still using the FE Forum too, Rod C.

rcodecj

• View Profile
Re: Entering the 21st Century
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
I have been using Google Chrome for quite some time and I like it better than IE.
I haven't used IE for quite some time so I don't remember all the differences, but when I first tried Chrome, I liked it a lot better.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
When I went to Windows 7 at my office and on my laptop I had a lot of problems with the latest version of Internet Explorer.  Mostly, it was trying to protect my computer, but it did it in such a heavy handed manner that it was really annoying.  After being unable to access some fairly common web sites (including mine LOL!) without getting all kinds of pop-up warnings, I switched to Google Chrome.  But I thought Google Chrome was worse; it was not intuitive at all, and I just didn't like the overall feel.  Then I tried Firefox, and I've been using Firefox ever since.  I really like all the features, and it seems very intuitive, to me anyway.

To each his own, Rod, but if you have trouble with Chrome, I'd suggest you give Firefox a try...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
After switching us to Windows 7 the IT folks at my company sent out a notice that we could try Google Chrome and even told us how to do it.  This is unusual, as our company machines are locked down pretty tight.  They said it would load faster than Internet Explorer... So I tried it, and yes it does seem to load faster but to me it isn't as intuitive as IE.  I'm going to continue to play with it, and render a judgement in a month or so on which one I'll use.  So my advise is, give GC a try and see if it works for you... I haven't tried Firefox but sounds like it's worth a try too.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
I have heard good things about Firefox, but I liked Chrome from the very beginning so I never looked into it.

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
From a computer security perspective, if you're not running the latest version of IE, you're asking for trouble.  Microsoft is notorious for failing to produce backports of security fixes for older versions' IE6 is a notorious security nightmare, something like visiting a whorehouse with a defective condom.  I strongly suggest using a current version of Chrome or Firefox if a current version of IE is unavailable for you.  In addition, install the AdBlock Plus add-on for both Chrome or Firefox to eliminate the vector used by most malware today:  advertisements.  All that, and keep Adobe Flash properly updated.  PM me if you want any help.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »
As above.  If you cannot run the latest IE with all the patches, best stick with Chrome or FireFox.  And note, you are good on XP until 4/18/2014.  After that, no more updates or support from MS.  I would budget for a new machine with Win7.  Win7 is easier to get along with - IMHO - than the new Win8.  Win8's interface is engineered for a touch screen, and from what little I've played with it makes it clunky with a mouse/keyboard. 

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:52:44 AM »
Thank you all for the replies and opinions. Since IE6 is so vulnerable I'll stick with Chrome for browsing in the meantime. I'll talk to my son about Firefox and see if he still uses it. Don't get me wrong, only my IT 'tools' are entering the 21st century, but I'm still clinging on hard to the 60s, 63 to be exact, ;) , Rod C 

BTW, seeing as XP won't be supported after next year it'll be time to upgrade the computer, maybe a 'stroker kit', more RPMs, more displacement, etc. :D

BTW#2: I am getting used to this format too

fe66comet

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:20:39 AM »
At first the transition was hard but Chrome is much simpler and takes a whole lot less space.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
+1 on Chrome.  I ran Firefox for years, but it has an annoying habit of sucking up memory if you leave it up for too long.

I've switched to Chrome with the Adblock Plus and NotScripts extensions for security.  This package is light and zippy. 

Chrome has saved my wife's 6 year-old Dell laptop from the scrap heap!  The poor thing was laboring to run Firefox after a gazillion Microsoft updates to its XP Pro operating system.  (That's after reformatting and loading the minimum of up-to-date OS and software.  Firefox would get so slow with only a few tabs open that it became useless.) 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
Rod, I know your pain. I got one of those FBI warning messages and it locked up my computer. We couldn`t get rid of it. My oldest son is an IT teck in texas and knew what was going on. He and #2 son spent a couple of hrs trying to get rid of the virius and reboot my system. I finally had to reinstall XP and start over. He was home for the holidays and tweeked the puter so I can now function again. I was down almost 3 wks. I`m still running IE and so far everything seems fine. Now if I could just get those dam pakistan emails and adds to go away I would be real happy.

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
+1 on Chrome.  I ran Firefox for years, but it has an annoying habit of sucking up memory if you leave it up for too long.

I've switched to Chrome with the Adblock Plus and NotScripts extensions for security.  This package is light and zippy. 

Chrome has saved my wife's 6 year-old Dell laptop from the scrap heap!  The poor thing was laboring to run Firefox after a gazillion Microsoft updates to its XP Pro operating system.  (That's after reformatting and loading the minimum of up-to-date OS and software.  Firefox would get so slow with only a few tabs open that it became useless.)

So far so good Bill with Chrome. I do like the download speed Chrome has. Now have to show the wife how to navigate the web, maybe,  :o

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
I bought my wife a ipad 3 for Christmas. I must say, Apple has it going on. What a neat little computer. I don't know what their web browser is called but by its design, is totally virus proof. Everything that Windows has problems with, doesn't exist with Apple. That's what the kid said at the Apple store anyhow. I spent a lot of time at the store just playing with all the computers, I was fascinated. They cost a little more but seem to be well worth it. Kinda like an FE.  :)
Kevin McCullah

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
Apple products aren't virus-proof.  Improved software engineering, certainly, but NOT virus proof.  They are also susceptible to hardware failure just like Windows machines, so if you buy one, don't forget to do backups!

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
My bad, I should have said there are no known iOS viruses targeted at the iPad or iPhone. The iOS operating system is the safe one, for now. Now the Macs and Macbooks with the OSx operating systems are susceptible.

Edit- Did a google search for "iPad virus". I see now that viruses do exist for iOS. But only if your iPad or iPhone has been "jailbroken". Something to do with modifying iOS to use unauthorized applications.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:56:54 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
Kevin--  Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a pretty good product, and I'm not dissing it or anyone that chooses it... I just caution anyone that believes the 'message' without questioning it, no matter who delivers it, Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc.  Believing that a software product is invulnerable leads to letting our guard down, which bites us in the ass eventually.  The Internet is a cool place, but there are lots of bad guys itching to pull a fast one, and good guys with bad judgment, so keep your wits about you.

There are other kinds of malware besides viruses, currently trojans and other information stealers are all the rage, the sneaky ones operate flawlessly so you don't even notice that they are running.  All current (and past as far as I know) operating systems are vulnerable to these threats.  Some are patched, but the worst ones are the ones we don't even know about yet, called zero day exploits.

fe66comet

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
You know there is always a kid drinking code red mountain dew and eating  teddy grahams  sitting in front of an alienware around the corner LOL

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
And if you use apple for very long you start to miss all the stuff that is available for windows machines.  Of course apple doesn't want you using these programs on their machines and this little conundrum is what leads to jailbroken apple machines.  If all you ever want to run on it is apple approved then you'll likely have no problems.  Unfortunately the apple world gets small rather quickly.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
I use IE, Chrome and Firefox. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. IE is actually as secure as the others IMHO though both Firefox and Chrome win the customization battle with their extensions hands down. Honestly though, I've found all three to consume quite a bit of available RAM once a few tabs are open. Myself, I frequently have more than a dozen open in each browser. Luckily the price of RAM is in the basement. My recommendation is if you run a 64bit OS go out and grab 8~16GB if your motherboard can accommodate it.

Probably 99% of security issues with browsers originate between the keyboard and the chair. Word got out I have an IT background and am a PC hobbyist so I end up doing a lot side work for friends and family cleaning up PC's. Glad to see this did not devolve into a PC/MAC flamefest like many of the other boards I frequent.  ;D

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
A little late to the party, but this article has some neat features of Chrome that not everyone who uses it may be aware of.

http://www.guidingtech.com/5319/killer-google-chrome-features/