Author Topic: FE Block Pressure Test Video?  (Read 5488 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: FE Block Pressure Test Video?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »
Yep, that's it.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
Yep, that's it.
Keith,
Would love to see pics of your set up--corking all the bearings, lifters, dizzy, etc. seems tough, but if it prevents a problem down the road I suppose it's worth it.

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
Same principle, just more holes to plug. 

On factory FE blocks, you watch close for the oil passages going from the cam to the mains and from the cam to the decks.  On aftermarket blocks, you check everything, including the side main galleys. 

For water, anything is game on a factory block.  On aftermarket stuff, I've found most issues are in the lifter bores.
Brent (and others),
How does a new block have drill-through of side main galleys?  I'd think today's CNC capability would be head and shoulders above 1960s technology, plus the aftermarket blocks are often beefier than the originals.

AC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
I’d kinda like to know myself.

My guess is that it’s a combination of core shift, machining tolerances, and lower QC.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »

How does a new block have drill-through of side main galleys?  I'd think today's CNC capability would be head and shoulders above 1960s technology, plus the aftermarket blocks are often beefier than the originals.

AC

A long drill will drift in operation  - does not matter if a computer is controlling it or a guy with a Black & Decker.  If it encounters a variation in hardness, an intersecting hole, or is just too long and running at the wrong speed, wrong pressure or is not sharp enough.

FWIW I have seen numerous original blocks with weld repairs and even epoxy that were very obviously done right after casting.  The problems we are encountering are not at all new - just new to us

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Brent, Barry,
Great insight.  Once again reinforcing how great this forum is, especially for know-nothings like me!

Thanks!

AC