Author Topic: Later starter on 63 Gal with cast shorties?  (Read 4381 times)

63.5xl

• View Profile
Later starter on 63 Gal with cast shorties?
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
I installed later bell housing and later starter on my 63 engine with the cast shorties. I noticed the starter wire post is within a 1/2 inch of the header.
I have heard there is a later Fe starter with the starter terminal coming off the back by the brushes, anyone know what year and model to ask for to get this starter?

tomsfe64

• View Profile
Re: Later starter on 63 Gal with cast shorties?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
The starter you are referring to is available from Napa part nr 44-9204. Has the post on the back. It's a 2 bolt starter but still works.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
I have used a later starter for years on my '63 Effie/FE. There is a strap sort-of arrangement---I got it at a local starter rebuilder---that moves the connection point to the back of the rear plate. With '63 long manifolds there is still very little space in between and I pushed a small square of Teflon sheet stock in the the open space. It's been working for more than 20 years.

KS

63.5xl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
Where are you located CammerFE, I see you had KS at the bottom of your post, I am in KS

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
I was told by my local NAPA store the 44-9204 starter was meant to go on a 170 cubic inch 6 cylinder. This would seem to be a little bit light to crank a 462 stroker in my 63 Galaxie with the 427 long cast iron headers.  Maybe it would work just fine but I was not comfortable with it.  In my application the standard late model FE starter with the stud on the side would absolutely not fit, the stud contacted the header. My local Car Quest got me a reman starter from Wilson Electric part#91-02-5821 that has the terminal for the starter cable on the commutator end. I believe it is for a 70's pickup FE application, sorry I can't give you an exact application but insist on that part #. Don't let them substitute to another "will fit" number because the substitute will have the stud on the side (been there-done that).  This part # fit well and so far is working fine. It's only been on a couple months though. Oh, it does have the correct 3 bolt mount pattern.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
I'm not sharp enough to post a link, but if you search for "starter" in "technical forum"  this has been covered before. HVYWRENCH posted a wilson catalog that is very good.  Later, Travis

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »
Where are you located CammerFE, I see you had KS at the bottom of your post, I am in KS

My name is Ken Sheffer. I live in Farmington Hills, a northwestern suburb of metro Detroit.

63.5xl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
I was told by my local NAPA store the 44-9204 starter was meant to go on a 170 cubic inch 6 cylinder. This would seem to be a little bit light to crank a 462 stroker in my 63 Galaxie with the 427 long cast iron headers.  Maybe it would work just fine but I was not comfortable with it.  In my application the standard late model FE starter with the stud on the side would absolutely not fit, the stud contacted the header. My local Car Quest got me a reman starter from Wilson Electric part#91-02-5821 that has the terminal for the starter cable on the commutator end. I believe it is for a 70's pickup FE application, sorry I can't give you an exact application but insist on that part #. Don't let them substitute to another "will fit" number because the substitute will have the stud on the side (been there-done that).  This part # fit well and so far is working fine. It's only been on a couple months though. Oh, it does have the correct 3 bolt mount pattern.
When I looked the Wilson Electric part#91-02-5821 up, it is for a 1977 Granda, Maverick, Comet, Monarch with thed 3.3 200 six

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
The ONLY reason for bringing this back to life is to update the information.
On the other forum the question of OEM Ford starters with the terminal on the end cap came up.
While I was answering the question I found out that the information I had previously provided about Wilson Electric was a dead link.
I found a new link      https://www.wilsonautoelectric.com/PartDetails/Index?partId=68e03477-74d3-42b0-b045-31d8817535ab   has a lot of good info

This starter question comes up from time to time so I figured I would add in the updated and valid info.
Back to your regular programming......
Bill

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 11:05:25 PM »
'Way back when', I put an Accel FE starter in my Effie. I later discovered that what was sold as an Accel starter was simply a cheap re-brush and commutator clean-up with a coat of yellow paint. In order to get it to fit with my '64 427 long iron manifolds, it ultimately was necessary to take the now rebuilt starter, with a re-wound armature and new field coils, remove both the nuts on the side-stud, put the properly insulated battery cable end---double aught welding cable---on the stud and cinch it down with only one nut. I cut the stud off just past that single nut. That gave me enough space between the stud and the manifold to be alright, although I did retain the the chunk of sheet Teflon in what open space there was left.

That worked for me.

KS

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
Long and shorty cast iron header clearance to the starter stud  has been a problem since those headers have been around.Back in the day Ford addressed this by making an endplate for the old inertia starter that clocked the stud in the needed position and rerouted the starter cable.I can't believe Ford didn't take advantage of the changeover to the bendix type starter to reposition the stud,but the later strap style terminal does finally eliminate the problem.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
I use a 400M starter. It's a little shorter than an FE but for my 428-ish 10.0cr-ish engines has always had plenty.

It has the lug out front so no issues with clearance & no need for a different cable.

BUT - it has the 2-bolt aluminum Windsor tail section.
Just remove the 2 loooooooooooooooooooooong skinny assembly bolts & swap your 3-bolt FE aluminum tail on in place of the 2-bolt Windsor tail & done.

Been doin it since the 1970s.

Re the OP - 1/2" clearance for the typical FE side-stud unit is HUGE. They can be so close they actually touch. The front lug gives a lot more peace of mind.