Author Topic: Wilwood front disc brakes on 67-69 mustang  (Read 19829 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
Re: Wilwood front disc brakes on 67-69 mustang
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
I looked at the illustration for a 67 and a 69 and they both show left side with caliper on the front! Strange... I guess I'll worry about it when the time comes, LOL. Maybe I'll drill some new holes and mount it straight up on the top!!!~  ;D

I just checked that is strange also it is showing a 67 mustang picture for both years.
I also checked what kit for a 69 mustang and it is the same kit as mine (caliper mounted on the front).
It also lists the same brake line kit.
The 67 drum brake hard lines point the opposite way as the 69 disc brake lines so I'm not sure how that works.
I guess it could.
I'm not sure what kit they are putting on that 69 in the video.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:18:01 PM by rcodecj »

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Wow,  was just out rechecking brake line alignment and boy is that kind of a best compromise thing with the AN lines and fittings.
Because the fitting in the caliper is pipe thread and 90 degree you've got to stop it to line up correctly with the car suspension up, down, and wheels turned both ways.
It is close to the spindle one way and the lower ball joint stud the other way, and of course changes with the front end lifted way up. I have the 1" upper control arm drop so that helps with the camber not changing as much but still.  I stopped turning the pipe thread part into the caliper a bit short to make sure I did not have to back it out after tightening.
If I had it to do over again I think I would have bought a straight pipe thread to -3 AN fitting adapter and bought a brake line with one end having a 90 degree on it. (And I still might)
Here's why, the perfect angle is sometimes not quite as tight as you would like and one more turn to get it right can be too tight.
I'll be the first to admit I am picky. Some of the factory brake line hoses have a 4 inch long or so fitting on the brake line coming out of the caliper and I can see why the factory did it now.
This was not an issue on the SSBC kit.
OK I guess I'm saying just be careful!

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
I changed out the Calvert Racing front drag shocks for Edelbrock IAS and as expected it really helped the nose dive on hard braking.
I was strapped for time so I did not get a chance to play with the rear brake proportioning valve any more yet.
It is kind of nice to see what one change at a time does though.