Author Topic: Oil pump pickup and pan mods  (Read 3325 times)

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Oil pump pickup and pan mods
« on: October 31, 2020, 03:46:29 AM »
Hey all

As many of you know I’m building a “new” engine for my pinto

I have a KEVKO racing front Sump circle track pan but my plan is to use it in a drag race application

I have a Melling high volume oil pump. I also have the melling pickup that KEVKO included with the pan the trouble is with the high volume pump, it really gets the pickup too close to the sump of the pan (less than 1/8 closer 3/32)

Are there any “tricks” to cutting and modifying a pickup tube? TIG vs Brazing?

Clearance should be 5/16 including pan gasket thickness correct?

My current plan is cut the tube and support and adjust height

Also this pan has trap doors in the pan that help with slosh are there any reasons a circle track pan won’t work in a drag application? I would hate to starve that pump especially if I can modify at this point

I tend to really sweat the small stuff at times which is why it takes me forever to get anything done

Thanks guys

Dave

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Oil pump pickup and pan mods
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:00:37 AM »
Can you bend the pickup tube?

I like to see 5/16-3/8" clearance.   Gasket laid on the block, then measure from gasket to top of pickup.   Then compare to pan. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »
You didn't mention using a windage tray. That would certainly gain you the extra clearance you needed, and would be a good addition to any oiling system.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
Are you measuring with clay or a ruler?

Both are good when done right, but given how close you are, might be beneficial to get a clay value with a gasket
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
If you cut it and weld it, make sure that the welding doesn't have any pinholes.  If you do, you will suck air along with oil into the pump, if the weld is not submerged in the oil.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
Soon after the drag season started in 1964, I concluded I needed a deep-sump pan. So I built one by adding the sump from a 'boneyard' pan. I cut a hole in the bottom of the original pan, large enough to pass the bell on the pick-up, and added a piece of half-inch electrical thinwall in the middle of the vertical part of the pick-up. I overlapped on both ends and notched to reduce the diameter. Brazed it all back together. Worked just fine, and in those far-away days, I don't think I spent five dollars on the whole project.

KS

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »
I’m using a pair of framing squares to measure

This pickup is a little different as it has a rigid support from the flange that bolts to the pum and goes down to the tube directly above  the bell that is submerged

I think my choices might be melt the braze away and try to relocate the bell up the tube benches I really only need 5/16 to 3/8 more room

Can you “un braze”? I have never tried but these factory style pinto pick ups are cheap and I’m not worried about ruining one

I do not have room for a wind age tray as the mains and counter weights are so close to the flat bottom of the pan

I may be able to build a crank scraper but I had to remove some portions of the one built into the pan for connecting rod clearances

It is a stroker and everything is tight fitting!

I can’t thank you guys enough this is by far the most friendly and helpful board I have ever joined

By the way how do I post pictures? Sometimes they are better than words

Thanks again
Dave

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
I really doubt that you don't have room for a windage tray, I put a Moroso tray on my 511" dyno mule last summer, and it has a 4.375" stroke crank and BBC rods.  The windage tray might not solve your clearance problem, but it would help...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
Jay

Looks like racer Walsh makes a tray but I’m not sure if it will fit my crank

I will call

But I’m curious as to “how” the tray will help with my oil pump pickup clearance?

It’s a fit between the pan and the pump

Just asking maybe I’m missing something

Dave

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
A tray mounts to the pan rail and will require a second gasket, pushing the pickup further from the pan.
Mike

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
I’m not familiar with Pinto engines but not all engines mount the tray between the pan rail and oil pan. Non skirted blocks just bolt them to the caps and it won’t help him with pickup clearance.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
Assuming this is for a small block since it is a pinto before cutting your pickup double check the pan bottom to make sure it hasn't been dropped during handling causing the bottom to be caved in a little.The fact that it is a high volume pump shouldn't have moved the pickup mounting surface on the pump so if the pickup tube doesn't clear its either the wrong one or the pan was made wrong or was damaged during shipping.As mentioned earlier a mistake on welding or brazing the tube back together can cause big problems,so I would eliminate the other possibilities before resorting to that.If this is on an FE that's an easy fix as mentioned earlier.

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 08:30:44 PM »
I believe this is a 2.3 4 cylinder with a double overhead cam Volvo head. Rob

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:04:20 PM »
Oops my bad,that sounds like an unusual build.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
  "I" would check with Brian @ Esslinger Eng in Corona Ca. They do that stuff every day.