Author Topic: Jay or anyone else, PI intake  (Read 8038 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile

Joe with your porting knowledge and experience few have the unique insight you have on intakes. Just wondering, Jay's book showed the Holley Street Dominator to be in a real neck and neck horse race with the Edelbrock StreetMaster. Per your recommendation is it the rarity/lack of Street Dominators that have you not mention them in the same recommendation as StreetMasters or do you feel that  StreetMasters are superior to the Street Dominators?
   I've always been fascinated  by the unique diagonal runner design of all StreetMaster intakes be they (Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Pontiac etc) and why Edelbrock only utilized that unique runner design for a limited time - never to be offered again.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Jay or anyone else, PI intake
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
I have acquired 3 Streetmasters, and 3 Street Dominators which I am in the process of porting to different flow numbers and balancing the ports so that I can keep them fairly close in flow.  I want to have 1ea flow about 20cfm over stock, 1ea 50cfm over stock, 1ea maxed out, and then do a dyno test to see what the differences will be between them, and if on a given engine, what airflow difference in the manifold does to horsepower potential with the same heads, camshaft, cubic inches, etc. Then,  hopefully,  this will be also a chance to compare that same PI in Jay's book against a RPM on the same engine.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Re: Jay or anyone else, PI intake
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »
StreetMaster's and Street Dominators are so cool in that they were released during the gas shortage and advertised for use on RVs.  Never will forget the boost a stock StreetMaster made on a mild RV-cam'd 351M I had. Never dreamed an intake could make such a difference and the difference was across the board. Since you mentioned comparisons SM vs SD over stock how do the cfm's  compare in stock forms?