Author Topic: affordable oil to use for a run and dump  (Read 4099 times)

ACHiPo

• View Profile
Re: affordable oil to use for a run and dump
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »
Rotella or Delo are both fantastic oils for the money.  Delo is a little better these days, based on our oil analysis lab at work.  Threads on the Bobistheoilguy forum seems to reflect similar results. When comparing/trying to choose between two similar motor oils, a really big clue comes right under the cap.  Typically, if quality control/oil purity is a primary concern, you will find an air tight seal on the container you have to peel off.  Delo has one.  Rotella does not.  For your purposes, either would be fine.  Since your cam/lifters have already "mated", you are not really at risk for damage here unless you run some vegetable oil or something like that.  Another commonly overlooked tip:  SHAKE the oil jug before adding all of its contents.  Additives will settle out and rest on the bottom of the jug, rather than making it to the inside of your motor.  We "turn over" our bulk oil tanks on our large equipment quarterly in an effort to extend reliability/MTBR (mean time between repair).

I realize the thread is kind of old, but should this turn up in a search for someone else later - had to add some info.  I run Delo in everything I own.  Motorcycles, lawn mowers, hot rods... everything.

Corey,
Agree on Delo being a great oil, but its low zinc concerns me for flat tappet or break in, and I don’t want to add ZDDP.  What testing did you do to prefer Delo over Rotella?
Evan