Author Topic: M/T drag radial age question  (Read 276 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
M/T drag radial age question
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »
As I prepare for RaceWeek I found out the class(true street) I may want to run in requires a DOT tire. I have some M/T drag radials that are the same as new but are 10 years old. I am not going to be fast this year as I am taking my Galaxie that I have pretty much converted back to a cruiser so 13s are probably the best I can hope for. I don't really want to order new tires at this stage plus this may be a one time deal but I don't want to run on dangerous tires either. They have been kept in a pretty much climate controlled environment, inside and never over 90 or under 40. I can run in the bb/na class and I have some slicks already mounted but they give out a "slowest car in class" award in the bb & sb/na classes and there is the real possibility I could get that honor with my car this year, LOL.

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
Re: M/T drag radial age question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 03:08:28 PM »
Hi Alan,

I don't have experience with the M/T DOT radials specifically, so this is just a general opinion.

The RMA (Rubber manufacturers association) recommends 6 years on passenger car tires. This has always seemed a little aggressive IMO, and besides- they represent companies who sell tires. However, I have become more cautious and start thinking about 8-10 years certainly.

It has also been my observation that generally, race compounds deteriorate somewhat faster. I think UV/Ozone exposure is partly to blame, so storing them inside may have reduced that effect.

I think it's a good question, but in the end... Making a 100 MPH+ pass in a valuable vintage car... It's your call, but honestly, I would be having negative thoughts if it were me.

BTW I have a pair of BFG Drag Radials over 20 years old. I wouldn't do more than idle around the block on them to blow the cobwebs out. If that.  ;)