FE Power Forums > FE Technical Forum

oil filtration

(1/3) > >>

oldtimmc:
Hello to all, first post so bear with me. I will be taking delivery of my brandy new Unique Cobra in about two or three weeks from now. The engine is a 447 stroker, solid lifter, 10.2:1 750DP from Southern Automotive. I will be installing an Accusump 2 quart for basically pre oiling only. Bill Parham suggests a motorcraft FL1HP filter. I have been eyeballing the canton CM spin on filter, lots more moola but better filtration. However it does not have bypass or flow back capabilities. So anyone reading this and has an opinion let'er rip.

afret:
I like the idea of no bypass so use the CM filter.

machoneman:
If it's good enough for Bill Parham, stick with the FL-1Hp filter.....for those who don't know, here's as short read on Bill's background.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=20451.0;wap2

cjshaker:
Personally, I would be a little worried about not having a bypass. It sure sounds good in theory though.

My thinking is this....we all know that resistance is what builds pressure. Resistance in the filter itself is what opens the bypass so that it does two things; first it keeps the filter from building up too much pressure, secondly it lets thicker (cold) oil get to the bearings during crucial start-up periods. So when you remove the bypass, during cold start-ups, the filter may actually starve the bearings of oil by creating a restriction that can't be overcome by the thicker oil. Also, depending on what your oil pressure is, you may actually over pressurize the filter causing damage to the housing or the filter element itself.

If you live in a constantly warm climate and use synthetic oils it may not be an issue. Maybe just a warm climate is enough by itself, I don't know for sure. But I sure would hate to cause bearing damage by lack of oil. The Accusump will only provide oil for a couple seconds at best (but I still think an Accusump is a GREAT idea). I would rather just rely on regular oil changes to keep the oil clean and let the filter and bypass work as they were designed to. Or basically, I would rather have dirty oil circulate through the engine....than no oil at all. That's just my opinion though.

Qikbbstang:
washable filter peddlers.          You all know you can't have your cake and eat it to. Ditto on the Washable Filters, the reason they are washable in the automotive oil relm is because they have wide open metallic filter media.  Washable comes at the price of requiring wide-open wire cloth or perf filter media. In washable automotive oil filters the pores must large enough to permit washing out the particles.  Sure you can have micro-fine filtration in metal filters like the typical filter paper media, but no mortal is going to wash that fine a metal filter in his garage unless he has ultra-sonic cleaners, lab grade solvents,  filtered pressurized solvent/wash flow all essentially in a clean room.. Please I'd like to hear from anyone that claims they can clean an automotive re-usable filter for less time/money then simply buying a spin-on.

Here's a company that's been around for decades making state of the art metal filters and they'd go nuts laughing if you wanted one for your car but I'm sure you could get a price $$$$$$$$$$:
http://www.mottcorp.com/resource/pdf/elements_broch.pdf

JMHO------------install a remote dual head filter mount and two of your preferred parts store spin-on filters.  In each filter oil velocity is cut in half, the filter efficiency/capacity skyrockets and differential pressure drops* about as much as all that remote piping will cost you.
*reduced delta-Pres means the by-pass valve will be less likely to open.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version