Author Topic: It's Alive! But needs help...  (Read 2896 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Re: It's Alive! But needs help...
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
CE Auto Electric in AZ makes very nice kits for all sorts of auto applications. These are 1/0 cables that are part of a battery relocation kit Tony put together for me.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

FE4ME

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 06:42:48 PM »
Ditch the pusher fan , get the biggest dia puller you can fit on the engine side.
If your upper pulley is limiting you in regards to available space between the radiator and pulley , there is a fan called sidewinder (made by Fanman) where the motor is not in the middle of the fan but off to the side where you normally have tons of room, and im pretty sure you can rotate the fan motor location to best available space.

Many other factors can hurt and help cooling:

Burp system properly to remove all air after the thermostat opens while filling cooling system you want to remove all air before installing the Rad cap..
Ive always drilled a small 1/8" hole at 12 oclock on the thermostat flange to allow air to escape while filling, starting it with the cap off watch or feel when the thermostat opens and slowly top off. You can also give it some rpm at idle to force any trapped air to the highest point in the system (the radiator filler neck).

if you live in a climate where theres no chance of freezing overnight , run more water than coolant (antifreeze). On the west coast Ive always run 80% water and 20% coolant , the coolant will be used for anti corrosion. Nothing dissipates more heat than water.

Run the highest pressure radiator cap that your system will allow , instead of a 12lb cap run a 16lb or slightly more depending upon your build and reliability of your system.
Proper Timing and properly adjusted carburetor always help.

If it runs hot on the street,  but cool on the highway,  then you usually have a fan issue.
If it runs cool on the street, and hot on the highway, then you usually have a radiator that is not big enough or has some flow restriction within the tubes

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 07:40:25 AM »
Ditch the pusher fan , get the biggest dia puller you can fit on the engine side.
If your upper pulley is limiting you in regards to available space between the radiator and pulley , there is a fan called sidewinder (made by Fanman) where the motor is not in the middle of the fan but off to the side where you normally have tons of room, and im pretty sure you can rotate the fan motor location to best available space.

Many other factors can hurt and help cooling:

Burp system properly to remove all air after the thermostat opens while filling cooling system you want to remove all air before installing the Rad cap..
Ive always drilled a small 1/8" hole at 12 oclock on the thermostat flange to allow air to escape while filling, starting it with the cap off watch or feel when the thermostat opens and slowly top off. You can also give it some rpm at idle to force any trapped air to the highest point in the system (the radiator filler neck).

if you live in a climate where theres no chance of freezing overnight , run more water than coolant (antifreeze). On the west coast Ive always run 80% water and 20% coolant , the coolant will be used for anti corrosion. Nothing dissipates more heat than water.

Run the highest pressure radiator cap that your system will allow , instead of a 12lb cap run a 16lb or slightly more depending upon your build and reliability of your system.
Proper Timing and properly adjusted carburetor always help.

If it runs hot on the street,  but cool on the highway,  then you usually have a fan issue.
If it runs cool on the street, and hot on the highway, then you usually have a radiator that is not big enough or has some flow restriction within the tubes

That sidewinder looked perfect but it seems to be out of production.  I'm in the process of going through every available fan/shroud combo and measuring for fit.  I sort of shot myself in the foot with the piggyback pulley system for the blower, so I really only have 2.875" to work with.  I can fit a fan motor on the passenger side of the engine bay just fine since nothing is really going on over there, but the driver's side is almost all blower.  Either the fan motor would hit pulleys or belt.  There are low profile fan combos but the flow rates are sad by comparison.