Author Topic: Edelbrock Vs C4AE head Machine work  (Read 725 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Edelbrock Vs C4AE head Machine work
« on: August 04, 2023, 02:12:34 AM »
I bought a pair of Edel heads, from a really nice guy, in Bend, Oregon.  He was getting rid of a bunch of FE stuff and he told me, that after he was done selling, that I could come over and get all his left overs. Thank you, very much, Steve!!!

In the left overs was a .040 over, C5AE block, 390 with a 272 Crane cam and C4 heads. It had about 5000 miles on it and it ran nice, when he pulled it to put a 445 in his truck but, it had 1.66 CH pistons in it. So, I ordered a set of 1131, 1.76 CH pistons, honed the bores and also, bought a set of Mr Gasket, .020 head gaskets.

The Edel's are going on my 423, 361 Edsel engine so, I decided to machine the Mr Gasket 202A to match, with a 7°, per side, cutter that I already had. It's a good match for the angle of the ports, too as you can see in the pictures. One of the reasons I wanted to do it this way, is that I wanted uniform 1/4" radii corners down to the valve guild area.

BTW, the #2 port on the gasket, was .020 wider than the rest.

After that, I thought I'd do the same for the C4 heads, using the same X & Y settings, as I was already set up. As you can see in the pictures, the Edel's and C4 have a little different angles on the outside wall (8.5-9°) and just slightly different on the roof. The finished port of the C4 head, is 1.375 wide. The Edels are 1.39 wide. The C4's are narrower, because I wasn't able to cut the outside wall on them. The inside wall, visually, looks identical to the Edels.

On the first C4 head, I cut the lump for the rocker bolt, for both #3 & #4 cyl. The red line shows the end of the rocker stud, screwed in to it's stop on #3 and the #4 didn't break threw. It only took about 10 min each, with a 1/2" ball end burr, to blend both of those area's, as shown. I'll finish those and #1 & #2 , in a few days, as well as blend the Edel's, with the same burr.

CJ valves, will also go into the C4 heads, using a bowl cutter, I made for my EDC heads.

I'll cut the lumps out of the other head, too but, I took a picture of how someone might make cuts and then blend them into a vane on 3 & 4, rather than break threw.

I'm posting this, because I thought it might be interesting to see the difference between the two heads.
Frank

Wortttie

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock Vs C4AE head Machine work
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »
Hello

I read through your post and noticed that you got parts from a person in Bend Oregon.  I live very close to Bend do you mind if I ask where you live?  I love FEs and want to meet you if you are in agreement.

Phil

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock Vs C4AE head Machine work
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 05:58:48 PM »
Hi Phil,
I'm not in Bend. I live 10 miles North of Medford, on I5.

I'd be happy to meet for coffee, sometime, if your in this area.

Frank Elliott
541 292 9141
Frank