Author Topic: Way O/T: train lays own track.  (Read 2519 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Way O/T: train lays own track.
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
http://www.wimp.com/traintrack/

Amazing machinery. Still find it hard to believe that it can actually bend the steel tracks out of the way and then bend them back onto the ties. 
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Way O/T: train lays own track.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
Seen that video before. Pretty cool, but I miss the ole "clickety clack" of the old sectioned rails. I'm a big fan of old steam engines and live just a short ways from where the old geared Shay locomotives were built. Made specifically for tight curve, steep grade tracks like what was used in the logging industry. Been to nearly all the scenic railways within 3 states....with Cass Railroad in Virginia being my favorite.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »
Brings a whole new meaning to the word "Gandy Dancer"! I take it that must be in Europe? Around here they still use wooden ties.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
Cass Scenic Rail Road is in WV not VA.
Beautiful place.
Those Shay engines are amazing machines and can climb very steep grades while pulling a string of
cars loaded with logs.
The guys that maintain them are some older machinists and have to make all the replacement parts for them.
There are no old blueprints to go off of so when something wears out or breaks they just make a new part
right there in their shop.  One engine is 100 years old and has been at Cass since it was built and is still
going strong.
An amazing example of American ingenuity.
If you are close enough to go visit you won't be disappointed.
garyv

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
You are right, Gary. Had a moment of un-clarity :)
I've been there 4 times and was planning on going there again this year. It has one of the steepest rail grades in the U.S. Those Shays are workhorses!and travel up to the second highest peak in W.V. for a beautiful view into Virginia!. Those Shays work so hard they have to stop for water half way up! I usually stay for a week at the only local campground ran by a friendly old man.

The old derelict engines across from the shop are cool to look at, but like you said, those shop guys are real good. I usually stop and chat with them depending on how busy they are.. I also usually walk the track to the top (Knob Hill I believe?) at least once...which is where I had my first encounter as a kid with a rattlesnake. Still got the walking stick where I marked his length on it...lol
Good times :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe