Author Topic: FE Crate Engines  (Read 4337 times)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: FE Crate Engines
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »
It is true that it isn't super difficult to finish the build, especially with the help you have here on this forum. Having been in the exciting and somewhat nerve wracking place you are, I can relate. I have a couple of observations:

• If you are worried about anything, you should worry that the bottom end wasn't assembled properly. This becomes more significant the more power you want to build. If you have doubts, get it pulled apart, measured, and re-assembled. If you are confident in the help you had and it is going to be a moderate build you can consider plunging ahead.
  • Buy Barry's "How to Build  Max-Performance Ford FE Engines" and Steve Christs "How to Rebuild Big Block Ford Engines". The give different perspectives, but will give you the basics including process, tools, and parts you will need. Also, if it has been a few years it will help you remember where all those parts go back.
  • List everything you have and come up with what you think is a plan, and post it here. Listen to the feedback on your build plan (including what parts you plan including carb and intake, what kind of result you want).

It was the most fun I've had in years. One other point, getting it to run right can take more time than the build. It wasn't until I posted my problems here that this group put me on the path to success.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:45 PM »
Just asking the builders and the other 2 or three builders on here. Is it not cost effective to have let’s say a 445 or a 482  10 to 1  let say a street motor ready to go in case someone is in need. It does seem like someone is always looking for or building a motor.

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
I would suggest also getting Barry's newest book on rebuilding the FE . It's geared more to the basics of Fe building for the person who wants to do it them selves in there garage. Well worth it IMHO. Good luck with your build.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 06:20:48 AM »
Just asking the builders and the other 2 or three builders on here. Is it not cost effective to have let’s say a 445 or a 482  10 to 1  let say a street motor ready to go in case someone is in need. It does seem like someone is always looking for or building a motor.

It is tough to forecast what someone’s needs will be. Even using just a pump gas requirement, the gearing, desired vacuum, rpm range, even idle sound, paint and fasteners varies on each I do.  I suppose a 10:1 short block on the stand might get one delivered a little quicker but I haven’t had two identical yet
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 04:19:44 PM »
I'll have to grab that one.

I would suggest also getting Barry's newest book on rebuilding the FE . It's geared more to the basics of Fe building for the person who wants to do it them selves in there garage. Well worth it IMHO. Good luck with your build.

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 04:24:53 PM »
I think the bottom end is together right, but having done this 0 times and having the help of someone who has never done an FE, it's hard to know.
I'm not looking to make crazy power, mostly I want to be able to get out on a 2 lane state road and when I need to pass someone, I know I can do it.

I'll have to go through my parts and make a list. What I have learned is I should have bought a whole engine and not just a block if only for the knowledge gathered disassembling it.

It is true that it isn't super difficult to finish the build, especially with the help you have here on this forum. Having been in the exciting and somewhat nerve wracking place you are, I can relate. I have a couple of observations:

• If you are worried about anything, you should worry that the bottom end wasn't assembled properly. This becomes more significant the more power you want to build. If you have doubts, get it pulled apart, measured, and re-assembled. If you are confident in the help you had and it is going to be a moderate build you can consider plunging ahead.
  • Buy Barry's "How to Build  Max-Performance Ford FE Engines" and Steve Christs "How to Rebuild Big Block Ford Engines". The give different perspectives, but will give you the basics including process, tools, and parts you will need. Also, if it has been a few years it will help you remember where all those parts go back.
  • List everything you have and come up with what you think is a plan, and post it here. Listen to the feedback on your build plan (including what parts you plan including carb and intake, what kind of result you want).

It was the most fun I've had in years. One other point, getting it to run right can take more time than the build. It wasn't until I posted my problems here that this group put me on the path to success.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 09:59:52 PM »
I guess what I mean is a street motor something that makes vacuum and can be daily driven if need be.
Example  445ci maybe 400 horse 500 lbs
              482 ci maybe 450 horse 550 lbs.

Shouldnt be to difficult. Anybody looking to make any real HP will be ordering something with the builder
the way they want it. You can go through any magazine and they have dozens of motors to choose from
I dont think you will find an FE. You can probably duplicate those motors up top and at those horsepowers
they would last a long time.

It is tough to forecast what someone’s needs will be. Even using just a pump gas requirement, the gearing, desired vacuum, rpm range, even idle sound, paint and fasteners varies on each I do.  I suppose a 10:1 short block on the stand might get one delivered a little quicker but I haven’t had two identical yet

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 07:29:47 AM »
I guess what I mean is a street motor something that makes vacuum and can be daily driven if need be.
Example  445ci maybe 400 horse 500 lbs
              482 ci maybe 450 horse 550 lbs.

Shouldnt be to difficult. Anybody looking to make any real HP will be ordering something with the builder
the way they want it. You can go through any magazine and they have dozens of motors to choose from
I dont think you will find an FE. You can probably duplicate those motors up top and at those horsepowers
they would last a long time.

Happy to build one for you, I have a couple cores :) just teasing, but unfortunately they wouldn’t much cheaper than a custom build, good thing is it would be easy to beat those HP numbers, so overachieving would feel good! 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
I guess really its just not a cookie cutter motor like a SBC. Iguess thats why we love them cause they are different and  when we get them to honk
its a good feeling. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
I personally wouldn't want an FE or two sitting around waiting to be adopted.  That's a good chunk of change sitting in inventory and inevitably someone would want a different camshaft, wrong color, etc, etc.  The majority of my engines get custom pistons, coated bearings, custom roller camshafts, etc.  Stuff ain't cheap.  In addition to all of that, there aren't enough parts available right now to fulfill orders, much less have something sitting in the background.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »
I think the bottom end is together right, but having done this 0 times and having the help of someone who has never done an FE, it's hard to know.
I'm not looking to make crazy power, mostly I want to be able to get out on a 2 lane state road and when I need to pass someone, I know I can do it.

I'll have to go through my parts and make a list. What I have learned is I should have bought a whole engine and not just a block if only for the knowledge gathered disassembling it.

Not to mention all the small parts that you need to re-use. There are still roached FEs in yards out there.

The FE is not all that different from other engines and most machine shops can assemble one, but there are a few things that are odd. One is the cam plug in the back of the block goes in backwards to how most people expect. I had to pull mine and install a new one after the machine shop got  it backwards.

I was fortunate to have bought the books and followed a lot of discussions before I let anyone touch my engine. One thing that Barry in particular emphasized was the need to align hone the engine, and use a torque plate to hone the cylinders. That advice may be too late for you to use, but you can probably get the crew here to tell you what to check before you move ahead.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Albarnett99

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2022, 07:23:09 AM »
I say go for it and complete it yourself. I just completed my own project of pulling the heads and intake to replace gaskets. Had I ever done that myself? Nope. Was I nervous I might mess something up? Yes sir!

But you have this forum, some good YouTube videos, and Barry’s book as great resources. I have Emailed Brent and Ross over the years for help and they have been very helpful and patient with my rookie questions. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and will guide you to success. Good luck!

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2022, 01:55:26 PM »
Lot of great advice given and people on here willing to help you along.  Once you get over the intimidation factor you'll be fine.
Everyone on here started where you're at and learned from others and are still learning from others.
Get your parts list together to see what you have to work with.  If you're confident that the lower end is ok then you are well on your
way. Once you get the cam installed correctly the heads and the other stuff are pretty simple.
Get Barry's book and that will help a lot.  Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.
Just take your time and double check everything and make sure you have a good torque wrench.
Lot of satisfaction in hearing something you build fire up for the first time.
Good luck

garyv
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 09:39:13 AM by garyv »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 11:30:40 PM »
Lot of great advice given and people on here willing to help you along.  Once you get over the intimidation factor you'll be fine.
Everyone on here started where you're at and learned from others and are still learning from others.
Get your parts list together to see what you have to work with.  If you're confident that the lower end is ok then you are well on your
way. Once you get the cam installed correctly the heads and the other stuff are pretty simple.
Get Barrry's book and that will help a lot.  Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.
Just take your time and double check everything and make sure you have a good torque wrench.
Good luck

garyv

Very well said, and absolutely true! Go or it :)

KS

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »
The cam is in and I got the timing chain on as well.
One thing I do need to get are the push rods.

Get Barry's book and that will help a lot.  Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way.
Good luck

garyv