Author Topic: FAST - Factory Appearing Stock Tire Class - What to build?  (Read 12028 times)

427LX

• View Profile
Re: FAST - Factory Appearing Stock Tire Class - What to build?
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »
They will be at MIR

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
the big question i have is there a minimum weight for each car?or just a general rule?the 800 hp 385 engine would be fast enough,if the car was lighten up enough.
also,i see that lane is on this and other ford forums,so maybe he can add his knowledge base to the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:08:26 PM by hbstang »

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2021, 07:15:39 AM »
the big question i have is there a minimum weight for each car?

No minimum weight.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2021, 09:12:46 AM »
Lighten the front end and add as much weight that you can safely mount in the trunk , is that how it goes ?? I can't imagine any traction without some added weight in back

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2021, 11:31:56 AM »
the big question i have is there a minimum weight for each car?

No minimum weight.
That sounds like it could get VERY expensive!
Frank

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
I was at one of the races several years ago looking at Dave's 69 Hemi RR and got a laugh when it took a lot of effort for him to raise the trunk lid! ;D
No minimum weight and put it where it will do most good.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »
So, then my question is, do they allow foreign made parts and metals to be installed in the cars and the cars still be be legal? ;)

Are aluminum and fiberglass body panels legal? How about acid dipping? Titanium headers and suspension pieces?
Frank

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2021, 04:59:46 PM »
  I have visions of aluminum & titanium fasteners everyware possible. Would weight high in the car be a traction, or more correctly, a weight transfer aid?

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
Doesn't appear to have a maximum weight limit or a limit of how much trunk ballast either :)

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »
Yep light weight fasteners too! A certain white 1968 Firebird supposedly had a bunch of titanium fasteners.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 12:02:04 AM »

...Are aluminum and fiberglass body panels legal? How about acid dipping? Titanium headers and suspension pieces?

Frank, the cars never see a scale. One of my very favorite things about FAST is that it is REAL RACING with no break-outs, no index, no handicaps, no weights, no HP/LB rules, and you can never lose by going too fast. There is no attempt by the organization to create "parity". No classes, all run together. The better cars have an advantage, just like the day they were built, and they will not be punished for being better.
 No aluminum, glass, of carbon fiber body panels are allowed. No headers are allowed, F.A.S.T. cars must run the correct, original, cast iron exhaust manifolds, as well as correct, original intake manifolds and heads. Titanium suspension parts are not forbidden by the rules, nor are lightweight fasteners or acid dipping the correct steel panels, but they would have to be stock appearing.

Here are a few pics from my FAST GTX build
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:14:43 AM by Hemi Joel »

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
Joel, I'm sorry to keep nit picking at the rules but, they are very odd to me.

1. It doesn't seem right to only allow cast iron manifolds and aluminum and titanium fasteners, as well as aluminum and titanium, in other parts of the car.

2. If you can replace the petal assembly with aluminum why can't the steel body work, be replaced the the same material?

3. I don't know what the parts are, in the last picture but, they wouldn't appear to me as being "stock appearing".

They are your F.A.S.T. rules but, as a logical guy, they don't seem consistent.
Frank

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2021, 04:55:40 PM »
Frank, I can empathize with your confusion, because you probably don't know the history of FAST.
The rules make perfect sense when you understand. The rules do not allow aluminum fasteners or titanium fasteners or aluminum petal assemblies. They simply do not prohibit them.

So here is why the rules are the way they are: there is a race called the pure stock musclecar drags.  https://www.psmcdr.com/  FAST developed from that. There was a point in time where the pure stock muscle car drags had only a visual inspection of the cars. So some racers were cheating (allegedly). They started to do all the sneeky stuff to their cars that they could to make them faster that would not be revealed in this visual tech inspection.
Then one year the PSMCDR decided to tighten up their tech inspections. At that point a bunch of the alleged cheaters got together and started FAST. So the concept was that the car would need to pass the visual inspection. All of the stuff that they checked for at the pure stock drags, like correct heads, carburetors, manifolds, wheels, tires, body panels, interior, exhaust, ignition, and a whole bunch of other stuff that could easily be checked in a visual inspection were also required of fast cars. As the rules were created and evolved, they built on that concept. For clarity certain things for defined, and certain things were required, and certain things were prohibited. it was also clarified from what vantage point to the underside of the car would be inspected, how the engine compartment would be inspected, and everything else. Considering all that, it is up to the racer to understand those concepts, to understand the letter of the rules, and then to use their creativity to make improvements to the car that are not prohibited.

Have you read the fast rules? If not that would provide some clarity as well. https://www.fastdrags.com/fast-rules

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
i dont think you could run tunnel port heads,as the casting numbers have to be a production engine.
and no,i dont think the car has to be an original as long as it looks correct.IE,a real hemi cuda or boss 429?not going to see that.to me,its a rich mans folly to run this class,as it would cost $100k to build a competive car.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2021, 06:36:02 PM »
i dont think you could run tunnel port heads,as the casting numbers have to be a production engine.
and no,i dont think the car has to be an original as long as it looks correct.IE,a real hemi cuda or boss 429?not going to see that.to me,its a rich mans folly to run this class,as it would cost $100k to build a competive car.

Correct on your first 2 assumptions, dead wrong on the 3rd. Of course everybody thinks that about everybody else who plays on a different level than they do,