Author Topic: Need a name for the FE Power Cylinder Heads...  (Read 49627 times)

FElony

Re: Need a name for the FE Power Cylinder Heads...
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
I wouldn't be too careless using the CJ or KR designations as part of the name unless you have written permission from Ford.  I'd hate to see you get crosswise of Ford in a copyright suit.

I'm not sure Ford or anyone else can copyright initials, or Jay could not use FE Power.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
I wouldn't be too careless using the CJ or KR designations as part of the name unless you have written permission from Ford.  I'd hate to see you get crosswise of Ford in a copyright suit.

I'm not sure Ford or anyone else can copyright initials, or Jay could not use FE Power.

You are probably right, but Ford never really marketed FE as much more than internal memorandum for the engine family while they pushed the CJ and KR designations for all they were worth.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I remember a few years back when 'Obsolete Ford Parts' was forced to change the name of their company.

FElony

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2019, 03:58:19 PM »

You are probably right, but Ford never really marketed FE as much more than internal memorandum for the engine family while they pushed the CJ and KR designations for all they were worth.

Yes, but if they even cared, they could claim FE as intellectual property or similar because of the enormous amount of times that engine is/has been referred to as such. Jay could always claim CJ and KR are the initials of his two favorite roosters, who work for him as machinists. What's Ford gonna do, subpoena the chickens into court to testify what the scratches on their birth certificates say?

I remember a few years back when 'Obsolete Ford Parts' was forced to change the name of their company.

Yes, one annoying Cali lawyer made a couple bucks from that. Not an initial, though.

FElony

« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
You could also put "FEnix" at one angle between the ports, and "6090-xx" on the other angle.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
You do realize the meaning of nix in German or Dutch means no or nothing. FE no?
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
I’m going to hop on here and say that I like the Feonix, TRex and Velociraptor names, I also like Jays
CNC TRex logo..... but
Put me in the camp that thinks all of these are a bit gimmicky, again, I like them, but I think Jays efforts and the FE history is a bit above such things.
I am more a fan of the name being more alpha numerical, in line with previous heritage.
Something like HP400R for the Race version, HP could stand for “High Port” or “High performance”,
The 400 would be fluid, matching the intake CFM, imagine the CNC version hitting 427cfm.....
The R could be “Race”, or “Raised exhaust port”
Go ahead and keep the TRex or whatever dinosaur related drawing on the head, I like it. It can be the pet name for the head or it’s alias. Or offer it as an option to those who want the sleeper look.
As for making sure Jay Brown is prominent, put that in the casting mold, a big JB or JBrown cast into every head.

FElony

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
You do realize the meaning of nix in German or Dutch means no or nothing. FE no?

I think if everybody avoids putting these heads into German or Dutch cars, we should all be safe.

...As for making sure Jay Brown is prominent, put that in the casting mold, a big JB or JBrown cast into every head.

So if I buy those heads, and tap on them with a mallet, will Jay get a headache? If I drive around hoodless with clear valve covers, will Jay's brain get sunburned? If I win a local race, will Jay know that by osmosis? Is there any way to shut my brain off that doesn't involve the word "caliber"?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.  One thing I really don't want to do is to put my name or initials on these heads.  Putting FE Power on them is going to be enough for me.  I've been thinking more about the engraved pictures on the ends of the heads and I'm souring a little bit on that idea; maybe just some lettering would be better.  And somewhere on the heads I'll put a part number to positively identify them.

I'm still considering what I should call them, haven't really made any decisions on that yet.  On my intake adapters, I have a part numbering system which seems pretty clear to me, but people get confused with the numbers and I often have to clarify exactly what they want, because the part number they tell me isn't really what they're looking for based on the phone or email conversations.  This is one reason why I wanted a name for the different versions of these heads, because I think that will make it clearer to a lot of people.  Fortunately for me, I don't have to make any decisions on this right away...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
I think the name is right there ^ in the thread title...

69Shakar

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
How about an oval going around the fe power?

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
Put your name on them - FEB. FE Brown.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2019, 01:11:16 PM »
How about an oval going around the fe power?
how about an oval going around Fo-Mo-Go.and you could use 1-2-3 etc.for different runs or styles
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
"Need a name for the...."

I'll bet this is the last time that question gets asked..lol  11 pages and counting...
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
"Need a name for the...."

I'll bet this is the last time that question gets asked..lol  11 pages and counting...

Yes, but if you disregard my peanut gallery excretions and cutting-edge chicken lifestyle commentary, it's only half as long.