Author Topic: Remove Block Water Petcocks or No?  (Read 2746 times)

rhinosoft

• View Profile
Remove Block Water Petcocks or No?
« on: October 04, 2014, 08:01:55 AM »
Hi All,

I have to remove and replace my intake for two reasons:
  • Have annoying oil leaks front and back of the intake manifold
  • Getting Jay's Intake Adapter pretty soon so will be seeing how it installs in my Thunderbird

Quick question : I have always removed the pipe plugs from the block to drain the coolant when replacing manifold but what do you guys reckon, is this overkill if I drain the coolant from radiator which should in theory move the level below the heads?

Thanks and I have not given up on the FE Forum - but good to focus Jay's adapter install I reckon??!!

All the best,

Graeme
Australia

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Remove Block Water Petcocks or No?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
Good to see you here, Graeme.  If you drain the coolant from the radiator that will be fine; you don't need to drain the block to change intakes. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
I'll add that since the engine usually sits at a downward angle in the rear I usually jack up the rear of my car while the petcock is open, you'll get a little more coolant out. That's more for if you're removing the heads, since the headgasket coolant hole is blocked at the front anyway, but it will drain a little more. And just as an aside, if I am pulling the heads I'll drain coolant by pulling the lower waterpump bolt. The passanger side goes into the waterjacket. I drill a small hole in my drivers side lower hole on my blocks also. Just remember to use a little sealant on those bolts. Then you don't have use the block drains. If I'm pulling the thermostat housing or expansion tank I'll soak up some coolant in the manifold with a rag first also, just to lessen the chance of dripping antifreeeze into the engine when removing the manifold. It's all a little overkill but I don't like any chance of getting antifreeze in the oil.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

rhinosoft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:32 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, I work slowly with no hoist so not having to remove and replace those pipe plugs will save me lots of leg work! Oh yeah, and wearing an armful of coolant when it lets go!

Graeme