Author Topic: My 427 Build  (Read 29570 times)

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
Re: My 427 Build
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 06:35:44 PM »
I mocked these up today, looks to be plenty of room, Harland Sharp steel end stands, Aluminum spacers, Cast Iron inner factory stands, Crane Cams 1.76 Ductile Iron Adjustable Rocker Arms with upgraded 7/16" 12 point ARP nuts, replacing the heavier original 5/8' 6 point nuts. Now, I will have to sit down, and shim all the rockers centered on the valves.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:40:30 PM by 1967 XR7 GT »
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »
Set-up looks nice.  Those rockers are usually real short on ratio.  They were good to slow a Stock Eliminator car down about two tenths with no other changes.  If you check lift at the valve versus your cam card, it may show you disappointing figures.  The plus side is that there are others that will slip right on and increase valve speed and gross lift.  Check into 534 truck rockers from Rocker Arms Unlimited.  He's up the road from you in Redding.  Gary Patrick.....nice guy but no relation to me other than a good business one......
Blair Patrick

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
Had it been determined how much of a loss, and is it production consistent ?  Is it down to say the hydraulic rockers 1.73 ratio, or is it more ?
I had gotten a good price on these, and if the loss isn't to bad, I'll probably just live with it. It will be a fwy cruiser mostly. And it will be a while before I am able to check them out.

Set-up looks nice.  Those rockers are usually real short on ratio.  They were good to slow a Stock Eliminator car down about two tenths with no other changes.  If you check lift at the valve versus your cam card, it may show you disappointing figures.  The plus side is that there are others that will slip right on and increase valve speed and gross lift.  Check into 534 truck rockers from Rocker Arms Unlimited.  He's up the road from you in Redding.  Gary Patrick.....nice guy but no relation to me other than a good business one......
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
It's been years since I checked some of those, but IIRC they were between 1.6 and 1.65.  The loss of valve speed is more of a detriment than the lift lost.
Blair Patrick

scott foxwell

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
One nice thing about a shoe rocker...you can play with raising or lowering the stand height and probably get that lift back.

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »
Build up-date:

I started this post on the rods I picked up, I'll post the top points here.
BBC Rods with .927" Piston Pins 

Here are the spec's on the rods:
6.500 CTOC
2.325 BE BORE
.900 BE WIDTH
.927 PE BORE
.900 PE WIDTH
CENTER BEARINGS
GRAM WEIGHTS: 577 / 257

I decided to go with a SCAT 4.125" stroker with BBC jrl's to use the Crower rods making it 468 ci's.

I was talking to Blair and it was suggested I have two rods opened up to take .990" pins and he could probably find a couple of pistons with .990" pins I could borrow for mock-up purposes, then afterwards have my rods bushed back to .927" pins.
I did some math, and after I bushed the rods to .990" then back to .927" and shipping both ways for the borrowed pistons, it started to add up, so I found on Ebay believe it or not, a set of SB2 4.250" bore JE pistons that use 2.250-.927" pins, I look thru my pin stash looking for a set of 2.950" pins I know I have, and find a partial set of 2.250/.927" pins, so I grabbed the pistons for $65 bucks.

The pistons arrived over a week ago, and I went and picked up my SCAT crank today, I ended up getting one of their 4340 forged cranks, it says "PRO STOCK" STYLE, so does that make me a Pro Stocker Now... ::)  So anyways, 2.200" dia, 2.008" wide and a .125" jrl radius, I ordered the crank last week, but they had to clearance the counterweights for a 6.5" rods.

Richard

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »
Hi paulie

From what I was able to find out, this crank (C4AE 6303 G) came in the 64 427 HR and in the TBolts and is listed in the 427 7000 RPM Kits and was used as a Nascar Crank.

But I haven't found out anything about the 2 extra counter weights, I did talk to Adney after he received the crank and had a quick look and he said the counterweights could of been welded on after it was forged ? It's currently in the Crank Queue, so when it gets to my turn to get worked on maybe then he can tell if the counterweights were added or if it was forged that way ?

And as for the 391 crank maybe we can work out a deal, and I'll throw it in my 390, I am going to be putting a crank in it anyways, and I know I could have the one in it turned, but something tells me to replace it and the rods too..  I got screwed over on a set of FE rods I bought, they ended up having well over .040" side clearance, which is way too much, instead of eating their purchase price, since the outstanding seller isn't going to refund my money, I am going to fix them, I'll have one of the sides welded up on rods 1 thru 4 to take up the excess clearance between the pairs, and install them in my 390 after I work them over a bit.

Where are you at on your crank ?

Email me and we can discuss the FT crank

Hi Jay

It already has a windage tray, but I will keep the stock pan and run 6 quarts and restrict oil to the heads like you suggested on the 390, but I will get a 7 or 8 quart pan but it will go on the Side Oiler.

I was going through some assorted FE crankshafts that belonged to a local friend of ours. One of them was a forged FE crank with a C4AE-6303-G I.D. number on the counterweight. I did some internet searching on that number, since it’s not a real common one, and one of the threads I came across was this one, along with Richard’s other post on the old FE Forum. I just thought I’d add a couple pictures of this crank to go along with the one Richard has, for anyone searching in the future, like I was. This crank does not have the additional center counterweights added, so I guess we can say both possibilities exist. The characteristics of this crank match the other things I’ve read, it’s not cross drilled and so it doesn’t have hollow and plugged journals. It looks like the picture of the  “7000 rpm kit” memo is no longer on the old FE Forum thread, does anyone have a copy of that they can post?

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2024, 06:08:26 AM »
It's unfortunate this project is taking so long, too many changes amongst other things, got me thinking I probably should go back to my original build idea, instead of going bigger and more HP on a 57 year old factory block, so it's what I am going to do.

I, still want to do the larger HP build but will have to wait for an after market block. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:42:34 AM by 1967 XR7 GT »
Richard