Author Topic: Distributor total mechanical advance  (Read 18153 times)

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
Re: Distributor total mechanical advance
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
    The post that holds the heavy spring with the chain link is bent inwards a little bit so the sping will have some play. It just acts to limit the advance once it makes contact. The other spring, the lighter spring is what controls the advance. 
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »
amdscooter,
    Thank you so much for that video. Nive looking car you put it in. I think you've got to have all kinds of vacuum with that cam. I believe that engine would idle smooth at 600 rpm and the exhaust noise is fine. Thank you again for sharing that video. Jim

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
 FirstEliminator: Thanks for the info.. looked like a solid link in the photo. Now I get it.  ;)

JimNolan: Hi Jim! I drove it around a lil today while I was making some other adjustments and vacuum for the power brakes was not an issue at all. Also, I have let is idle as low as 600rpm and it seemed to handle it just fine albeit with a bit more lope at the lower rpm. I usually keep it between 800~1000rpm in park. Toss it in gear and it drops a hair. Planning on putting the factory AC back in as well so 800~1k idle is where I'm keeping it.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
Alrighty then... need more advise. I was able to locate and install a 13L reluctor that allows me to set initial timing at 8~10 degrees initial which I think should be fine with this build for now. I got it installed and the setup seems to keep total advance right at my 36 degree target. Problem is I'm not seeing or feeling the "power/torque" increases I thought I'd be seeing with the new intake, cam, headers, etc.. Even before the rebuild and with the old motor mount split in two if I mashed the pedal I did not have any problems getting that 14 inch stock tire spinning. With the new build it's feeling flat. I mash the pedal and it goes.. but it's lacking. Not a chirp from the rubber at all. Was talking to a buddy and he thought I might be carburetor limited with only a 625cfm. Anyone else think that could be the issue.. or should I be looking elsewhere?

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
amdscooter,
     Put a timing light on it and suck on the vacuum advance tube on you distributor and see if it's advancing. On my 63 I had the timing advanced to 17 degrees initial so I could idle at 600 rpm and thought the engine ran really good. A few weeks later I was admiring the pictures of my engine bay and noticed a rubber hose just laying on my intake. The car ran fine and I didn't even have the advance hooked up. Ran better afterwards and I was able to reduce my timing to 15 degrees. Also make sure that the set screw is turned clockwise all the way on the vacuum advance canister. ( you can set that after you get it running). These things may not help you but if you've got less power now than before you put the cam and intake on it, I''m in trouble also. Jim

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
Weak off idle acceleration won't be the size of the carb, but it might be carb tuning.  Or, your modifications may have shifted the torque curve up to the point where you need a different converter or deeper gears.  Or, it could be some other issue.  I'd suggest you start a new thread, either in the Member Projects section or in the technical section, provide all the details on the car and drivetrain, and describe the problem there.  That will help you narrow down to a short list of potential problems.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »
Is the carb opening all the way?
And are you getting a good shot from the pump?
It's in the carb.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
I would be sure your carb is opening all the way first, then check the secondary. Is it a vac secondary?  also do a manifold vac test.

what do you have for jetting ? 

most of the time lazy is a rich condition. but you will need to eliminate the things above first.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
I would be sure your carb is opening all the way first, then check the secondary. Is it a vac secondary?  also do a manifold vac test.

what do you have for jetting ? 

most of the time lazy is a rich condition. but you will need to eliminate the things above first.

It is a vac secondary... added suggestions to the list. jetting is stock/whatever it came outta the box with. I'll look up the specs later. Still looking for my vaccum gauge.  :-\

Thanks!