Author Topic: Opinions on lifter base marking, run it or not?  (Read 545 times)

Fordman

• View Profile
Opinions on lifter base marking, run it or not?
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm looking for opinions on a bit of a strange mark on the base of one previously run lifter. This can and lifters came out of a running engine with no issues. It had some very light surface rust on it but when cleaned off it left this mark. You can't feel it and it isn't where the lifter "rides" the camshaft line. What are your thoughts?. Run it or not??. Thanks

mike7570

Re: Opinions on lifter base marking, run it or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:18:54 PM »
What brand lifter? Is that a coating on the base of the lifter?
Appears lifter was not rotating in bore, this can be a cam lobe problem.
It doesn’t matter if it’s still in the right order that lifter and probably the lobe are going to be a problem. I’ve heard of repair machining of both but I wouldn’t try it, too much risk. I would order new cam and lifters.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 04:24:15 PM by mike7570 »

Fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 04:31:14 PM »
I don't know the manufacturer of the lifters. You cannot feel anything like an edge, as if a flash playing has let go. The pictures are a little deceiving. This is a spot that had a very small amount of flash rust from sitting on the shelf. When the rust residue was cleaned off the difference in appearance showed up. What's your opinion on using a new set off lifters on a used/broken in camshaft?. I appreciate all opinions. Thank you

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »
Same cam and lifters in the exact same order shouldn’t be a problem. Anything that rust needed to be cleaned off I would replace. I haven’t done it but new lifters on a used cam might be okay if you follow breaking in procedures again. Maybe the guys on here smarter than me (meaning most of them LOL) will chime in on doing that.
Back in the ‘70’s my buddies and I did a few engine builds mixing and matching all kinds of parts because we had them laying around. One particular 390 ran unbelievably good!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:58:18 PM by mike7570 »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:35:08 PM »
I don’t think it rides in that spot but might be a good idea to run 1 new lifter in that hole. It’s a new motor so you will be breaking it in from scratch anyway. Use some Brad Penn 30 w break in oil. No additives and a good cam lube I like the black crane cam lube because it stays in place.