Author Topic: Long day and tired, could use a little help  (Read 4476 times)

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
Re: Long day and tired, could use a little help
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »

Cyl #8-28%

And was the bulk of the leakage determined to be thru the intake valve, the exhaust valve, or into the crankcase?    ???

Scott.

When I did this leak down I was up against the clock. I was really just trying to see if I found anything that would give me an "ah hah" moment. I didn't even remove the rags that where stuffed in to the intake ports. I was happy with the results I found because I did know that #8 was a weak cylinder and I was more interested in seeing how #4 did because that was the cylinder with the oil fouled plug.

I did go thru my files and found the leak down results from summer of 2014 when I had just installed the new Edelbrock heads and the engine was still on the stand.

2021                                 2014
Cyl #1-17%                Cyl #1-17%
Cyl #2-16%                Cyl #2-12%
Cyl #3-16%                Cyl #3-19%
Cyl #4-15%                Cyl #4-12%
Cyl #5-16%                Cyl #5-12%
Cyl #6-15%                Cyl #6-12%
Cyl #7-16%                Cyl #7-18%
Cyl #8-28%                Cyl #8-28%

These results where from the same gauge set and after approx. 30,000 miles.

Hope this makes sense. My speculation at this time is is the leakage on #8 is into the crankcase.

Erich
Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
OK, thought I would bring this up to date.

With the leak down test showing no real changes from previous tests, I decided I needed to do the suggested checks and move on. I checked the intake with a straight edge and it was good, couldn't get a.002 feeler in anywhere. I test fit it to the engine and it sat flat with no rocking and I could not get a .002 feeler to go in anywhere I checked. I reinstalled the manifold using the the Felpro MS90145 gaskets using Dow Corning 732 silicone (thin smear) on both sides and in place of the end seals.

Buttoned everything up and decided to do a compression test before I put the carb on. All cylinders where at 190 psi on the 4th stroke except #8 which was 185. # 8 was my known weak cylinder from earlier compression tests and my leak down test.

#4 was the cylinder that was full of oil from my leaking intake gasket.

I fired the truck, let it warm up and set my timing and carb. Everything seemed OK, no smoking and running smooth. I went for a 60 mile drive. After the oil burned out of the exhaust I had no smoking at all even after hard acceleration or high manifold vacuum situations. When I got home and checked the oil level it was the same (Before, it used almost 5 quarts to go 70 miles).

I was not impressed with the condition of the Edelbrock intake gaskets on tear down. With the exception of the 2 manifold bolts at #4 all the other bolts where tight and still the gasket seemed saturated and passing oil. I was surprised at the carbon build up on all of the valves.

I will need to check the intake bolts more often now.

I want to thank everyone for the replies and help. It has been a rough year loosing my mother and my brother with in 3 months of each other. I have been short of time trying to get things tied up and this sudden issue with the truck hasn't helped. I might still get to go camping this year yet!!!

Thanks again to all, Erich
Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
Glad you nailed it.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports