FE Power Forums > Member Projects

65 GALAXIE CLUTCH LINKAGE

(1/5) > >>

cajun65:
Looking for a lil info on my 65 galaxie ,Im using a quicktime bell, i have a stock clutch fork and the rest of the linkage ,will the stock fork work, what does it take to hold it in place ??will a stock throwout work?

BruceS:
Cajun,
If you haven't seen it already, go to the thread in member projects started by 65er called Galaxie/TKO.  This is the story of his conversion from auto to manual and 5-speed on his 65 Galaxie daily driver.  Lots of good clutch linkage stuff in there! 

65er:
Not to contradict ya Bruce, but there are some important differences between my installation and what Cajun65 wants to do.  I used the full depth quicktime bell housing instead of the shorter Galaxie sized one, and I used the quicktime fork. I don't know what the length difference is, or how much it will affect the installation.  As Alan Casida pointed out, the stock fork is longer than the Quicktime fork.  I also had to work one of my header tubes over  a bit to clear the ear on the bell housing, and also to clear the end of the clutch fork. I had already bought the parts when I discovered that the Hooker 6130 headers are listed as a non-fit for manual transmission, and that along with the rest of the combination of parts I got made for a fair amount of fabrication and massaging stuff into place.

Hopefully Alan will see this thread and shed some light, but he has been using a stock fork with a Lakewood and Quicktime bell housing.  It obviously works, but I think there is more than one fork and more than one Quicktime FE housing.  Here is a link Alan posted for the correct fork...http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-FORD-GALAXIE-CLUTCH-RELEASE-FORK-1965-352-390-FoMoCo-LTD-XL-FE-/321004074985?item=321004074985&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4abd5577e9&nma=true&si=kqF%2BZPQgBgSgjZqoYOvaH6wGM70%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Please excuse the cross reference here, but when I went searching for pics this is what I ran across. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7057690&an=&page=&vc=1   My fork pivot angle looked similar to the one at the bottom of the bottom pic, except the leg with the bolt holes has a radius so it's fairly obvious which way it's supposed to mount..  The mount (in my case at least) has a thick spacer and bolts through the spacer to the bell housing.  Without the spacer, the fork has no room to move.   The flat spring on the back of the fork fits through the window on the pivot angle to hold the fork and throwout bearing clear of the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is released. 

BruceS:
65er, +1 to all you've said here.  Cajun is going to benefit from your "been there done that" first-hand knowledge and the links you've provided.  I know they've helped my understanding!  :D

cajun65:
Thanks guys for the info very helpful

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version