FE Power Forums > Member Projects

Galaxie/TKO

(1/12) > >>

65er:
OK, it's on now, I just placed the order for the last of the parts I'll need to replace my super tired cruise-o-matic tranny with a brand spankin' new TKO 600.

The plan is to get every last piece in hand and check it all to make sure everything fits together properly and that nothing is missing.  Since this is my daily driver (and only) car I'll be doing the job over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.  That will give me four days to knock it out and get back on the road. Hopefully I'll have it done in 2-3 days but I'm not counting on that.

I got the clutch pedal assembly and linkage parts a couple months ago and at this point about all I have left to round up is a driveshaft, shifter lever, boot and knob. I'll have to work out the details on the driveshaft after the tranny arrives and I'll try to get one done locally.  Or if any of you guys know of a good online source for a driveshaft that won't break my already seriously wounded checkbook, I'd like to check them out too.

Here's the kickoff pics.. clutch linkage parts and pedal assemblies all cleaned up, painted, new rubber pads etc. 

My427stang:
You are going to dig it.....

fetorino:
Hey I missed it but which TKO did you get the .64 or .82 5th gear?

65er:
It's a .64 overdrive. 

I'm also working on putting together a second pumpkin to have on hand in case I have some time left to fool with the rear after the tranny is in.  I've got a set of 3.82 and a set of 4.30 gears hanging around and I'd like to try out both on the street for a while.  With that experience I'll pick a ratio and put together a 31 spline true track unit and upgrade those 28 spline axles.  I typically cruise 65 mph on the highway which calculates to 1975 rpm with 3.82 the gear or 2223 with the 4.30.  Both sound ok to me but I want to feel it on the highway, around town, parking the car etc as well as seeing how my fuel consumption changes.  After I build a stout stroker and put it in place of the current 390 I'll probably want to change to a taller ratio, but then that's kind of the nature of hot rodding ain't it?  ;)

My427stang:
Gears are fun in the stroker too!

I run 4.11s with a 489 and wouldn't trade it for the world.  It'll run triple digits and probably still pull anything my Powerstroke can :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version