Author Topic: Compare Dove Heads To Other Manufacture's ?  (Read 4642 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Compare Dove Heads To Other Manufacture's ?
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
I have s pair, but don't know much about them. And if anyone has his history details about the Dove  heads, please chime in.

What flow numbers, exhaust ports, etc....

Compared to Edelbrock, Survival's Edelbrock, Blue Thunder, even the latest from Trickflow and BBM.

Jay, have you tested the last two mentioned ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:40:13 PM by 427HISS »

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Compare Dove Heads To Other Manufacture's ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Did you get the Doves flowed?

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »
No, their mounted to the engine.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
Dove had problems getting good castings---and the fact that someone stole a big pile of rejected parts piled-up outside his somewhat rural shop complex and then offered them for sale (without mentioning the details of origin) didn't help either.

Jim Dove got most of the experimental stuff, and all the molding equipment from Ford when they quit producing FEs after '76. He had an excellent head for engineering and his own design studio in the building adjacent to his house---available through a second story enclosed walkway from his bedroom. He had a Super Flow bench in this studio and the ability to create models and flow them while playing with shapes and sizes.

He had at least three exhaust designs available on his for-sale heads, and Cammer heads with rocker pedestals moved in order to get more favorable rocker ratios than the factory, limited, designs.

His ability to mix-'n'-match combustion chamber shapes, intake runner sizes and shapes and ditto on exhaust runners was almost infinite. I worked with him on TP heads with a non-Ford combustion chamber and his 'Type II' exhaust runners so different from factory that they were re-spaced, re-shaped, and substantially re-located. They went in Brother Lon's '67 Mustang, in a series for Mustang Illustrated Magazine. The Mustang was also a cover car for Super Ford.

Since Dove offered such a variety, You'll have to tell us what you have.

KS

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Did Dove go out of business?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
Jim Dove is gravely ill and in-'n'-out of a nursing home. He is still clinging to life but what's left of the business has been handled by Earl, his long-time second-in-command and his brother. They have sold-off what's left on the shelves.

KS

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
Any idea what they are gonna do with molds for parts?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
That was looked-into by someone I know some months ago. Nothing is obviously available as what's left is a royal mess. There isn't even enough money available to pay for a formal bankruptcy.

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
The someone Ken is speaking of was me.  I went there with Kurt Neighbor last September to try to rescue as much of the casting tooling as I could, brought a bunch of cash with me.  Three days earlier Larry Dove had told Kurt he was ready to sell everything, but by the time I got there he had changed his mind.  I left empty handed, and I have been told that Jim Dove's son came and collected all the patterns shortly after my visit. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
I realize that Larry performed a lot of testing, but for the main street of his engines, did he tend to use the same valve sizes, intake and exhaust ports sizes, flow numbers etc ?

If so, what are they ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:58:57 PM by 427HISS »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
I realize that Larry performed a lot of testing, but for the main street of his engines, did he tend to use the same valve sizes, intake and exhaust ports sizes, flow numbers etc ?

If so, what are they ?

Its very hard to do what you ask.  He made a few different versions.  Likely a 290-300 cfm head, but even then, small changes in prep and valves can change numbers significantly.  It'd likely be safe to say "flows more than an Edelbrock" but less than the CnC Survival, CnC BBM and Trick Flow.  Of course peak flow doesn't tell much of a story either, but if you don't flow yours, that is about where you are
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »
Yes it is, but only curious on what he did to his heads, to be better than the originals.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »
Please look at reply #3 above.

KS

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 01:15:07 AM »
Old thread comes back to life but since I have a little Dove experience I'm going to chime in. Dove was pretty much the only FE in the game for years and had many good and unique pieces. Not knowing what exact heads the OP has means almost any discussion is moot with regards to flow etc. I will say, the website and advertising was "optimistic" if not flat out misleading regarding numbers although potential was there.

Porosity problems are well known but I haven't had any issues with the intake and 2 sets of heads I've used. One set of heads on my 428 has more craters than the surface of the moon but they make some power and don't leak. My T-wedge and other Dove heads are a lot nicer. I also have a set of Edelbrocks and wouldn't recommend anyone buy them unless you want something for stock performance or are willing to spend $$ to make them work.  The experts can expound on the virtues of newer heads like BBM, Survival, Trick Flow, Pond and even Blue Thunder which are all immensely better heads IMO than a Dove. That out of the way, if you have Dove's and they aren't causing a problem then run them until they do.   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:39:36 AM by Posi67 »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
Jim also purchased the B9 molds along with FE but they were stolen before he got there