Author Topic: What in the world has happened to Ebay fees?  (Read 4769 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
What in the world has happened to Ebay fees?
« on: February 15, 2021, 05:53:25 PM »
I sold a set of my rocker arms and the fees were $69??????!!!!

I'm getting ready to yank everything off of there.  Ridiculous.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Re: What in the world has happened to Ebay fees?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:59:36 PM »
Final value fees are now up to 10% on car parts, and you are charged on the shipping and handling too. And now in our state, the buyer has to fork over another 8% for sales tax that ebay automatically adds to the invoice. Legally, you do not owe sales tax on an occasional sale of a used item, but Ebay does not discern that for you. So you get stuck with it anyway.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »
Also, if your auctions get rated as "item not as described" they will charge you another 5%.
If they find your contact info in the auction, or you somehow otherwise provide your contact info to buyers, you will be charged an additional 5%.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:29 PM »
Brent , give me a email at ericphilpott@att.net , I’m interested in a TKX , shifter and clutch for the Fairlane

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »
Final value fees are now up to 10% on car parts, and you are charged on the shipping and handling too. And now in our state, the buyer has to fork over another 8% for sales tax that ebay automatically adds to the invoice. Legally, you do not owe sales tax on an occasional sale of a used item, but Ebay does not discern that for you. So you get stuck with it anyway.
I haven't sold anything on there in a long time but didn't it used to be like 4%.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:25:49 PM by AlanCasida »

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
Man dont get me started , and they are forcing people to link bank accounts directly and all kinds of other ignorance....Personally im done with Epay... It was becoming quite the circus before this last straw... Scammers paradise.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »
Before ebay MasterCard, the charges were the ebay selling fees, then PayPal fees.  It's a single selling fee now, typically around 11% of the total.  Sales tax is applied to the total, based on the buyer's address.  The seller doesn't handle the sales tax, as ebay pays it to the state government. 

We all saw the sales tax charges coming....too much state revenue being bypassed with interstate sales to be sustainable.

One advantage with ebay is the shipping cost savings by shipping through ebay.  There's a lot of things I couldn't sell with "free shipping" without the reduced shipping cost.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:40 AM »
There does seem to be a whiff of greed with ebay these days. As an example, I have an email watch for '60 Starliner used parts. What do I get? Key fobs, model cars, necker knobs, chevy parts,old oil cans and parts misrepresented as fitting a Starliner. Some search engine!

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
I sold a set of heads for $1050.00 2 months ago. Ebay charged me $220 seller fee.
No more selling on there.
Greg

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
I sold a set of heads for $1050.00 2 months ago. Ebay charged me $220 seller fee.
No more selling on there.
Greg

Wow, that is huge Greg! I'm amazed to hear all this as although I buy there, my gal sells dolls, doll clothes and other items on a drop ship basis. She's a very small time seller now but hopes to go bigger. Yet, I have seen that her margins are pretty small, perhaps due to these ridiculously high fees. Yeah, this will end up hurting them.

I had in the very distant past (20 years now?) sold a lot of Ford-related engine and trim parts on Used Racing Junk.com
Haven't even looked at that site in ages but it may be a good place to sell.

Maybe, for sellers here, a good idea to list all the fav non-E-Bay sites other might peruse for future sales. Ford, Merc, truck, performance websites? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:20:04 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
I used to sell all my products on ebay, now I only put the books up for sale there occasionally.  The fees are just too high.  I also have noticed recently that the prices on some of the new products are higher than they should be.  Used to be that some companies would buy products to resell and you could get a discount on them if you bought them on ebay, compared to buying them direct from the manufacturer.  But I recently bought some sheetmetal for my Fairlane Cobra, and getting it direct from AMD was about 10% cheaper than buying it on ebay. 

There are lots of people out there who favor convenience over value, and I think ebay is targeting those customers.  It is very easy to buy from that site, kind of like Amazon...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 09:32:48 AM »
I just took everything off of Ebay.  Forget that. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 11:58:03 AM »
I've managed to clean out a lot of stuff over the last 2 years that I have no use for on Ebay but like everyone else the last thing I sold the
fees were way to high.   I have one item left and when it's gone I'm done.
I have been using Facebook marketplace with decent luck to sell stuff locally and no fees.

garyv

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
I have sold on ebay since 2004 and it used to be an OK site except for the glitchs getting paid in the early days.
I will have to go back to Craigslist and deal with all the scamers but I did sell a good set of 351C heads there with no fees.
Greg

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:09 PM »
Facebook Marketplace is far better than Craigslist, but the functionality is so sketchy that it still makes ebay attractive.  If Facebook ever gets it's "poop in a group" it will eliminate ebay from the world...