Author Topic: Has anyone tried a cable clutch linkage conversion?  (Read 8131 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried a cable clutch linkage conversion?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
I would also fab up the parts, even using a Z bar from something else.  I hate cables and anything hydraulic for clutches.
Larry

ewo357

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
What other Z bar would be good to start with to fab around?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »
I had a monkey-motion, would hardly work clutch set-up in my '63 F-100/390 when I bought it. I sorta lived with it for a while since I was busy sorting out other problems. (The '63 was not available with an FE engine. You had your choice of a '6' or a 292. Mine started life with a '6' with an automatic.)

I finally decided to wade in and over a period of time I changed almost everything. And that's the point. I would have been better off to make the 'Z' bar from scratch. Everything I did to the factory piece was almost right because the thing was only almost right to start with. The upper arm and the lower arms were not in quite the right place and not quite the right shape. I should have cut them off and made new ones.

I used stainless all-thread and stainless Heim joints for the connecting rods above and below the 'Z' and bushed the worn, egg-shaped hole in the pedal arm with a steel item that I sourced from Hurst. Any tiny bit of slop was seriously exaggerated in the movement of the set-up.

I wish you good luck.

KS

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »
I used hydraulic Master/Slave parts from a 57-60 F-100 when converting my 65 F-100 to manual.  Had to fab a bracket to mount the slave cylinder onto the FE bell housing.  Once I got the pedal situation figured out it has worked great.  As for the pedal I ended up pulling another brake pedal assembly from a junk yard and cutting off the unneeded material.
Eric Evans

1965 F-100, 352 FE, Tremec 3550
1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 10:24:35 AM »
Can you get pictures of what a '66 Z bar looks like?  Does it look somewhat like a '64?  Maybe just narrower across(between motor and frame) but some geometry?
Larry

Richard F

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
I'm using a hydraulic set-up with a slave cylinder. I finally got it all sorted out and it works great. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
I have built many hydraulic conversions.FE,SBF,SBC, Y-block ,Chev 409, Using master and slave
From Volvo Amazon (girling) Last one on a  Y-Block in my Rod
Works perfect

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it