Author Topic: Couple questions, Tremec into a '63 Mercury clutch fork  (Read 1212 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Couple questions, Tremec into a '63 Mercury clutch fork
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:48 PM »
I'm working on installing a TKO 500 into my '63 Marauder and wanted to see if you guys had some suggestions.  In short, I did this install last year, very quickly, in order to make the car mobile as I was moving and wanted the car under power.  So, it was "done", but I wasn't happy with the install.  I also had an issue with the used trans, so decided to pull it back out and do it right. 

Couple items I didn't like:
1) Stock clutch fork uses the wire clip and a different pivot point than the Quicktime bell I had.  I redrilled it and used the old style pivot, but not optimal.
2) The TKO bolted up fine with some extensions I put on the trans crossmember, but the mounting bad to output centerline distance is different on the TKO, so basically the output is 1.5-1.75" below the old T10.  This tilted the motor down, and messed with the mechanical clutch linkage and throttle, besides just not being "right". 
3) This was a "frankenstein" setup, bought used, so I didn't have all the pieces together.  I basically could not adjust the clutch such that it would fully disengage without hitting the floor.  The quicktime bell has zero access to check air gap, but could tell it was still dragging.  It would shift, but not well.  I have an adjustable clutch pushrod, but still not enough throw.  I think I need a clutch fork with more "curve" to it to give more throw with the same amount of travel.

So, really my question now is what are people using for clutch forks with a Galaxie/Marauder chassis, and quicktime bellhousing?  I understand McLeod has discontinued their clutch forks, so that plan went out the window although I'm guessing if I look around enough I can find one on the shelf somewhere. 

Any help is appreciated.