Author Topic: Drew P. Reguarding Your Diesel Experience, Any With International?  (Read 3246 times)

chris401

I had a March 1994 IDI factory Turbo Diesel. Around 260,000 the original engine's #8 piston started coming appart. I swapped in a complete to running high miliage 1990 NA non turbo 7.3. My original injectors were Italian replacements and all popped off at around 2,000 psi. Although they checked out I swapped them so none would go in the same hole on the used engine. 60,000 latter #8 had a hole in the ring land. When I rebuilt the original engine I had non turbo pistons resized for the turbo wrist pins, 8 sleves for insurance (no sonic testing then) and I removed the turbo system. Less power but ran good another 60,000 till it was wrecked. Was the factory exhaust too restiive trapping heat? I noticed #8 speced larger on the 7.3's. What was the conection?
Thanks

The 49 pixtures were too cool not to post. The 94 had a starter quit at a Scranton(?) Pa. Wal-mart one Saturday. Drove the F1 across town to the starter shop. The strap across the hood was the owners request.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:38:50 AM by chris401 »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: Drew P. Reguarding Your Diesel Experience, Any With International?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
like everything in that row

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
The turbo injection pump puts out more fuel than the NA pump.  Running it with an NA engine overfuels the engine thus raising EGT's.  Dunno if you swapped IP's or not.  The advance curve is also different with the turbo pump.  Of course all the advance curves sucked on these.... much power to be gained but not an easy task to adjust as it's fixed via the advance arm.  With the early 7.3's always get a pyrometer.

The CDR valve can puke oil into the engine if it is worn or stuck open.... typically this oil ends up in the back two cylinders (4 and 8 )  You can often hear/see this on cold startup as there will be a pop pop sound for a second while the oil burns.  Make sure there is a real baffle for the cdr connection to the valve cover, without it they end up with a good bit of oil in the cylinders.  This can melt/break things.

To turn the fuel down in the pump there is a triangular window on the driverside of the pump, three 5/16th bolts hold it in place.  When you remove it fuel will spill out, so have a rag.
You'll need a mirror to see into the pump.  Turn the engine over until you see a small allen screw head (I think 5/32 allen?  It's been 12 years).  You can turn that to change max fuel output.  (I can't remember which way, I think it is counterclockwise to reduce, clockwise to increase).  It will be tight, so best to use a socket/allen combo.
I'd put the turbo back on tho... I like turbos.
Also make 100% certain your timing is dead on.  It needs to be set with a luminosity probe or a pulse probe.  That is what the funky injector thingy on the #1 injector is for.  Timing is critical and more than just lining up the marks on the housing.  (speaking of which, NEVER remove the gear housing when changing the injection pump).

Another fun fact of the DB2 injection pump..... as it wore internally the timing would retard.  I discovered that by increasing fuel pressure the timing would advance.  I could prolong a rebuild of these pumps by either advancing the timing or using an electric fuel pump and a regulator....  by increasing the pressure every year another psi or so I could get a huge amount of longevity out of these pumps.

I used to redo the injectors myself... it isn't hard with emory cloth and a homemade pop tester that I built out of a grease gun.  Pressure is simply set via shims.  Brand new injectors I'd always retest at 20,000 miles as they'd be all over the map after they broke in.

On the 89 F250 I had, I had an ats turbo, a highly modified injection pump and an intercooler.  I could make 18psi boost.... it was a beast.  That truck could get 22mpg light and 15 towing.  Driving by pyrometer was the key..... 600 was typical cruise temps, 800 was a light load and I would pull longterm at 1000degrees with no issue....  Climbing a hill I'd just slow down as the temp would hit 1200.  Never over, had 100,000 miles driving it just like that with the above setup.
I loved it, but couldn't justify keeping it when I went offshore (which is why I got into FE's).

I commend you for sleeving all the bores.  I think in that situation I would have sourced a 6.9 block and swapped all the upgraded 7.3 parts on that engine.  The 7.3 is simply a .110 overbored 6.9 anyway, thus why the 7.3 had cavitation issues.  The 7.3 had better rockers, glowplug system, etc.

I would tune the combustion pressures on these in a somewhat redneck way... I was poor, and didn't have much in the way of resources.  I wired up a glowplug to a multimeter and would read resistance off it while driving.  It didn't give temperature, but the temp changes would change the resistance in the glowplug.  I would test each cylinder this way until I could get all the cylinder running the same for a perfectly balanced engine.  Took a long time.... but I had plenty of it back then. 

Any other questions, just ask.... but I might be a hair foggy as I sold my last IH 7.3 idi in 2006
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:42:36 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
My ole girl.....  still miss her, we had some intimate moments

her last real 800 mile run.....

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:01:45 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

chris401

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
My ole girl.....  still miss her, we had some intimate moments

her last real 800 mile run.....

My dad has an blue 89 like yours. I did an 86 6.9 transplant from an E350. It is the quietest IDI I have heard. He is threatening to start using it again so I may used some of your advice. I like that dent side your towing, better than the bump sides. I will probably hit you up again for advice one day.

I think the pump screw is 3/16". I still have the broken Allen wrench from starting the truck with the wrench still in it. My 7.3 was the only IDI I ever had to rebuild. I did minor things and a couple of heads but they were pretty solid engines. Your advice could have saved me a lot of fuel and my brother some embarrassment when pulling his camper through the mountians. He said he was getting passed by everything with a camper behind it.

Late 2002 I change scenery and hit the road hot shoting with my 96 F250 5.8. About a year latter I bought the 94. That last 2005 run was when I burned the piston in the used engine. Went back to turning wrenches at Ford to learn more about modern diesel technology. Spent most of the time on 6.0 recalls, warranty and high pressure pumps. One of the senior techs started using me for torquing the head bolts, that got my foot in the door to take on more technical repairs. I did a few of those Ford satellite linked updates. After flashing for the turbo flutter two customers came back wanting it undone due to worse mileage. One man went from almost 19mpg to 16.5. The gas/oil field customers we had offered me a job making almost 4 times what Ford paid. If I had stayed where I was I would have been more advanced in modern diesel technology.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:29:01 AM by chris401 »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »
That 76 has been my daily driver ever since.  Aside from putting a 390 in it, she's been neglected.  I'm collecting parts for a full restore now.  Hope to get into it in the fall, we'll see what happens.
The ole 6.9/7.3's weren't fast, and often you'd crest the hill at 40mph.  I liked to tell guys in newer trucks that I'd race them 100,000 miles anytime tho... I could change a cylinder head or the entire fuel system, on the side of the road, anything that went wrong on the new truck would ground it for days.

Working in the field is better economically for sure.

I really don't now a ton about modern diesels, but to be honest that benefits me.  Few under 60 years old know much about fully mechanical diesels.  Our last of the old guard is retiring next month.... Leaves me at the top of the ladder, 30 years his junior.

chris401

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
like everything in that row
I picked up the F1 in Perham, Mn and the F7 in Superior, Wi. Dropped the F7 and gooseneck off at Hamden, Ct and took the F1 on to some place in New Jersey. I scavenged my own loads off the internet so I didn't have a boss or a broker to answer to. Traveled the scenic route's at 62 mph and saw a lot of country. Wasn't much left after I paid the bills but it was a nice break from everything.

chris401

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
That 76 has been my daily driver ever since.  Aside from putting a 390 in it, she's been neglected.  I'm collecting parts for a full restore now.  Hope to get into it in the fall, we'll see what happens.
The ole 6.9/7.3's weren't fast, and often you'd crest the hill at 40mph.  I liked to tell guys in newer trucks that I'd race them 100,000 miles anytime tho... I could change a cylinder head or the entire fuel system, on the side of the road, anything that went wrong on the new truck would ground it for days.

Working in the field is better economically for sure.

I really don't now a ton about modern diesels, but to be honest that benefits me.  Few under 60 years old know much about fully mechanical diesels.  Our last of the old guard is retiring next month.... Leaves me at the top of the ladder, 30 years his junior.
Within 2 years of me working on oil field equipment my wife had all of our debts canceled, credit up and a nice savings we moved and bought a house with. I figured if I wasn't at home I was not doing my job as head of the house. I quit the oil field and went back to the shops. I didn't like having to work with others at first but eventually became human again and family life was better.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »

Still have all my old books for the old cable dozers & scrapers, D6, D8, DW20 etc, cable units etc. There's an art to adjusting the brake and clutch on a cable unit, adjusting the racks on the old MI pumps- then we get into pony engines and their drive setups, compression release. Spent a lot of time clearing and ripping for vineyards with an old D8 14A

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
Right on gene.

Meanwhile I got tired of 6 degree weather

figured I'd spend some warm time inside and paint my ole GM's.  Painting running engines is an artform of sorts