Author Topic: I have a Crane Hyd Roller and was told the Bronze dist drive gear installed on  (Read 3977 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
my DuraSpark distributor would not last much more than a few thousand miles.    Granted when I bought the hyd roller cam, bronze gear and had a FE distributor guru set it up THAT was the hot ticket. What and where do I get another gear that will give me longer service life?......

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Buy a Crane or Mallory steel gear.  Summit, Jegs, Survival Motorsports, Blair Patrick Racing, Lykins Motorsports, Ebay, your local crack dealer....easy to get. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FElony

your local crack dealer....easy to get.

bb will have the right gear within the hour.

My427stang

• View Profile
Buy a Crane or Mallory steel gear.  Summit, Jegs, Survival Motorsports, Blair Patrick Racing, Lykins Motorsports, Ebay, your local crack dealer....easy to get.

Good advice
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
Easy to buy , not as easy to install ( corectly )

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Faron since you did a whole lot more than just comment on my DuraSpark, I sent you a request for your advice on installing a steel gear in place of the bronze gear that you installed when you built my Duraspark that I can forward to my engine builder machinist.

Easy to buy , not as easy to install ( corectly )

Faron

• View Profile
I sent you an E-mail , and yes I did your Dist,  almost 6 years ago , however you supplied the gear just so we a clear  ;)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Hot Dog I got the time frame of about 5 years right.... I agree you had absolutely no part in my decision to run Bronze Gear.  I asked and was told on a forum THAT BRONZE is what I HAD to use with my hyd roller.
  All I can do is laugh/cry some of the classic screw ups from bad advice that have sunk my butt a few times. Pissed to hell I took advice that I had to run the bronze gear--- I had no idea they wear like hell and nobody ever warned me that it's near useless on a street car.
Decades ago I came across a Edelbrock Torker 289 Intake and a Edelbrock StreetMaster in a corner of a trans shop for $100/2 so I asked on the forum IF the FE StreetMaster was any good?... Someone stated the Edelbrock StreetMaster was useless junk on a FE so honest to God I passed on both intakes.............This adventure into the bronze gear is going to match that manifold fiasco.   In the back of my head I'm still very concerned if the pick-up in my Duraspark is going to be the right one for my complete Ford Motorsport Ignition Module/harness/coil package --- just Murphy's Law bothering me big-time that when I go to fire and it won't.... That SOB can lurk anywhere.
    Anyway since it looks to be a BFD to get my virgin DuraSpark correct. I figure why burden Horsepower by Hedrick in something they don't do everyday. Hopefully you still are doing distributors?
  Unfortunately your phone and shipping address details are at the shop w/dist.

Faron

• View Profile
Faron Rhoads
PO Box 292
Freeburg Pa 17827

send the Dist , the gear and 20.00  to cover the return shipping and I'll put the gear on for you N/C , More than that I cant do later  :P

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Thank You Faron, I'm working on consolidating an order and will add a steel dist gear.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Just did this on my 351C, was able to heat the new (MSD) steel gear and tap it into place lining up with the existing roll pin hole.  Quite a trick LOL.  This was on an MSD distributor.  Gear ended up at the bottom end of the spec (3.996) and worked.  So far.