Author Topic: BBM head info  (Read 18513 times)

TJ

• View Profile
Re: BBM head info
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »
Definitely agree with Yellow Truck about this being a great forum to learn.  I don't understand why some guys show up with an obvious burr under their saddle.  Once I figure out who those guys are I just skip over their comments and don't read them.   

Blykins is one of the most honest and genuinely helpful guys I know. 

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
Back to the sub section of this topic, sims.

As I said in my post, I like the Gonk and I like it because it is a way of averaging out input/output and it's connection to ET/MPH info. Just like taking a engine to multiple dyno's might do.That said, I can't recall it winning a "Guess the HP" challenge.

Regarding dyno's, one thing that hasn't been address on that, is headers. Brent uses the same dyno, with the same headers for all applications. In his case, he might be leaving (or loosing) HP on the table by not matching the headers to the engine or not using his customer's headers. With a sim, you can change out headers, in a few seconds moving the torque around, in the rpm band.

I've never heard what Blair does for headers on the dyno but, I think he used his own on the EMC dyno? Jay has many sets of headers to play with, I believe?

Ring packs are another variable, that can add as much as 22 HP, as piston mfg say. I can't add ring packs to my sim (Dyno Sim 6) so, I just add it to the end result, based on what I want the ring pack to be. BTW, my sim seems to be very accurate and I have hit at, least one of Brent's dyno sessions, off by 1 hp. With it, I can input the exact head flow and cam lobe (CC only) as well as build a lobe or verify one in it's cad program, for that. I think that is one of the keys to it's accuracy.

Regarding things getting off on the wrong track......... A lot of it is how you word your response!!! It can be worded so conflict is eminent or in a "better" way :) Some people shy away from conflict and some people don't.
Frank

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
+2 Very much appreciate the opinions and information from all the builders and experienced members. A few other members seem to have an axe to grind with Brent and love to jump in "sniping" as Yellow Truck stated very well.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2021, 12:50:01 PM »
Hey all you beautiful builders. Dig you all.
Do what you do. Say what you wanna say about the motors we love. Don’t care if you’re lookin’ for work or just giving out info.
Thank you. The info you give us is invaluable.
Always gonna be snipers. It’s part of the human condition.
Water off a ducks back baby.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »
I agree with turbohunter and yellowtruck. I would hate for one or more of the big 5 lets say to stop posting because it is a big loss for the forum and the members that need the help. Everybody has there thing whether it cylinder heads , cams ,  porting intake manifolds , timing covers etc. We need all this information to learn and even the big 5 learn when someone posts something. You cant know everything we are learning all the time and we need everybody. Now thats my 3 cents

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »
Once again, another thread getting out of hand.  I've had to delete and/or modify several messages from good members here.  Knock off the personal attacks, guys.  There is room here for opinions without getting personal.  I don't want to have to start deleting more members for this childish BS.

And just to clear a few things up about the cams in my dyno mule, I did get that first cam from Blair for a different engine, years ago, and I mentioned that in the original thread with the dyno results.  The cam I got from Brent was specifically for my dyno mule; Brent had access to previous results with Blair's cam, and also the head flow figures from my heads.  Brent's cam performed significantly better up to 7000 RPM, and I didn't run any higher than that.  I suspect that the cam I got from Blair would work better at higher engine speeds, but since I didn't run there I don't know.  I also suspect that Blair could spec a cam that would run just as well as the cam I got from Brent.

So, can we please get back to a normal technical discussion?  Thanks...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Lg57

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
Amen to that!

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
See what you started, Greg!  ;D
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2021, 08:37:40 PM »
Remember this is an internet forum, albeit a pretty good one and I have benefited from it, thank you to all.
With that said and as a somewhat nuetral observer to this thread in it's original form I would say ALL points made were/are valid to one degree or another, just an opinion which is OK to have I think.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2021, 09:40:24 PM »
A quick "Thumbs Up" to all. There is more good info and comment on this site than anyplace else on the 'net. Let's do smiles.!!!

KS

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:40 AM »
Didn't mean to start trouble.
I just want to find out opinions and info on the FE engine.
I havn't buildt one of these since the 70's when parts disappeared. I have been building 351 C's and 429-460's since then.
I like this site because everyone seams to give honest opinion's on building these engines.
i still want to thank everyone for their time and effort it takes to post here.
Greg

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »
Yeah, turns out you didn’t start trouble.  I think a lot of the issues we have are due to the fact that communication is mostly body language, since we’re all just typing, we don’t see what we’re really saying to each other.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »

I thought that the aluminum head was basicly just a litter better then stock head with the benifit being in the weight saving's.
Guess I was wrong

Greg, Werby showed some goodness in this table, but regardless of the arguing...if you got that comment out of this thread, and others did too, this is a big win.

Differences in heads, aside from things like blowers or nitrous, are likely the most dramatic change.  I like to say "fast guys focus on head work"  The differences are dramatic from most stock heads, and even across multiple stock heads.  A 428 CJ compared to a C8AE-H is dramatic.  A C8AE-H vs and aftermarket, even more.  A good head can make more power and rpm with the same cam, or make the same power with less cam, depending on what you want to do.  Fun stuff when you get into all of it coming together to match end use
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »
Yeah
I all ways knew that good heads made a difference but not as much as is shown in the gronk and in the dyno results in the forum.
In the late 70's and 80's I was building outlaw late model engines for our race team. SBC.
The thing is we had to rent dyno time so I would build the engine and then we would dyno the whole package at that time so I didn't know what made the most power when we did the build.
I mostly thought the heads were worth about 30 HP as an average and the aluminum was mostly for weight saving which was real important in our class.
 I thought the most power was from the roller can and ultra rev kit we used.
Really wish I had a dyno.
Well I am not to old to learn something new.
Greg

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
Really, You guys just can't let it alone, sheesh. FWIW I learn way more from Brent than I ever will from you and hope he stays. In b4 the lock-down.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner