Author Topic: Working with Harland Sharp to offer another style of adjustable rocker arm...  (Read 4850 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
I'm currently working with Harland Sharp and will be offering another style of their adjustable FE rockers. 

I've never been a cupped pushrod fan, just because of the geometry/clearance constraints that you often run into, as well as the added expense of a custom ball/cup pushrod.   I've asked HS to make me a set of their rockers with a cup adjuster.  Not only will this allow a typical ball/ball pushrod, but they will machine it for me so that it will also allow both pushrod oiling and shaft oiling.   

I should have a set in my hands next week and will be able to show pictures and give pricing. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

GerryP

• View Profile
Will they fit stock shafts?  I like the ball-ball option.  A much needed improvement.  Good on you!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Yes sir, stock shafts and stands, or HD shafts. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

gregaba

• View Profile
I haven't ordered my HS rockers yet and am very interested in what you have going on.
Waiting for the pictures.

Greg

cjshaker

• View Profile
How do you get the cup end through the rocker adjuster hole? Or does it have to be threaded in from below?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
How do you get the cup end through the rocker adjuster hole? Or does it have to be threaded in from below?

It would be a 5/16" cup, so I'm thinking it will just fit into the end of the adjuster.  I haven't seen it or really thought through it yet, but that's my first instinct.  All of the readily available pushrods are 5/16" ball on each end, so that's what we're shooting for.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

gt350hr

• View Profile
 FPP did that 30+ years ago. Both T&D and Jessel do it too.  Great idea in getting HS to do it as they wouldn't do it for FPP back then . You simply switch to 289-302-351 lifters . I think Doug still does this. Yes the adjuster screws in from the underside.
   I hope it happens Brent!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
FPP did that 30+ years ago. Both T&D and Jessel do it too.  Great idea in getting HS to do it as they wouldn't do it for FPP back then . You simply switch to 289-302-351 lifters . I think Doug still does this. Yes the adjuster screws in from the underside.
   I hope it happens Brent!

It just makes sense.  There's no upside to a cup-end pushrod and it can cause problems if you're not familiar with measuring for pushrods.  Lots of guys struggle with getting the adjuster too far up or too far down and then the pushrods are more expensive when you order them. 

All of the T&D rockers use 5/16" ball end pushrods and I even had my non-adjustables set up that way.  It's just a lot easier and less expensive. 

I should have a set next week to look at and then we'll go from there. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FERoadster

• View Profile
Isky made something similar quite a while ago. I had a set and sent them to a FE Forum member a few years ago. Can't recall who it was.
Are there  any patents to contend with?
Richard >>> FERoadster

gt350hr

• View Profile
  It was me Richard . Many thanks! I still have them.
    Randy

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Agreed sounds like a much simpilar setup with no drawbacks.

In the past Ive wondered why all they aftermarket rockers only had the ball adjuster. Is it because Ford did it that way with the factory adjustable so it was just viewed as the way to do it? Just figured they knew more than me so no need to argue it.

pbf777

• View Profile
Agreed sounds like a much simpilar setup with no drawbacks.

In the past Ive wondered why all they aftermarket rockers only had the ball adjuster. Is it because Ford did it that way with the factory adjustable so it was just viewed as the way to do it? Just figured they knew more than me so no need to argue it.

If one is going to produce an aftermarket component that works, then you either establish for ones' self the intent of O.E. M.s' engineering execution in order to modify such successfully, for the "better idea", or one just copies the O.E. with "some" if only visual improvements for marketability.          ???

I believe the necessity in the case of the FE's pushrod "cup" as originally engineered, along with the larger 3/8" ball/cup with its greater surface area, is that unlike the more common examples in the use of  the "ball" tip there isn't oil being pumped under pressure thru the pushrod to supply this juncture, rather oil is collected indirectly in the cup acting as a reservoir supplying the lubricant required.  So don't forget to take this into consideration as if one manages to say, utilizing a mechanical camshaft, chooses to employ a solid-lifer (only) block, or plug the oil galleries of a hydraulic block as the understood necessity for oil is deemed nonexistent, well then perhaps a "drawback" might arise; unless one manages to build a certain sum of pressure in the rocker-shaft (what restrictors?) in order to pump oil backwards to this juncture?              ;)

Scott.

My427stang

• View Profile
I think one would say LOL that a 3rd option is a new design.  Brent isn’t really trying to copy OEM engineering he’s looking for an option that you can oil through the pushrod and either use to fixed design or an adjustable, and one version has been on the street for years. I have bought 4 sets myself

Not hard to see that splash oiling the ball was the OEM intent but not necessarily the most cost-effective or versatile set up nowadays

Remember there was absolutely no oil ever being pushed up the pushrod on an FE, and adjustable’s were created on engines that didn’t even have oil there if you wanted to. 

On edit - I was reminded of two things, T&D streets actually work well oiling from the shaft with ball/ball pushrods and....wait for it....All hydraulic cam FEs use ball/ball. Admittedly with much less spring pressure, but also with restrictors too

Not saying what you’re thinking about is wrong, But it’s not all that uncommon either
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:49:31 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

427John

• View Profile
My guess is way back in the 70's when HS first started making them for FE's,a lot of guys were using them to replace stock adjustables or were converting to adjustables and just used the readily available factory pushrods.From what I remember it seemed like getting custom pushrods was a bigger deal with a long lead time.

pbf777

• View Profile
I think one would say LOL that a 3rd option is a new design. 

Very rarely does one encounter coming to market in this arena, truly a "new design", in which the designer didn't first look at that which he (she) intended upon replacing; as after all, what was the impetus to develop this new design, and employ such specifically, other than generally the impression of a need.  But then sometimes genius does fall from the sky!          ::)

..................... adjustable’s were created on engines that didn’t even have oil there if you wanted to. 

Well, not a captured, pressurized value, but there is the little oil relief hole drilled under the pushrod extension of the rocker arm intended to throw some oil at this juncture (hence the cup), that is if there is adequate pressure across the orifice to accomplish such!          :o

On edit - I was reminded of two things, T&D streets actually work well oiling from the shaft with ball/ball pushrods and....wait for it....All hydraulic cam FEs use ball/ball. ..................... but also with restrictors too

And both of these designs deliver oil from the shaft to rocker arm relationship thru rocker arm drillings directly to this juncture;  but do require a certain pressure value to accomplish this effectively, so again, be cautious of the extent of restriction.           ;)

Scott.