Author Topic: Sunken treasure revealed at Lake Meade  (Read 2183 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Sunken treasure revealed at Lake Meade
« on: July 10, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »
I copied the pics off the FE Fanatics FB page. With Lake Meade being at historic low levels some strange things are turning up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:28:31 PM by AlanCasida »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Sunken treasure revealed at Lake Meade
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 03:24:50 PM »
Sheesh, who would leave that in the water??
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »
Is interesting that the intake and valve covers are missing.  Wonder if it is blown up. Could have sunk it for the insurance money?

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
Is interesting that the intake and valve covers are missing.  Wonder if it is blown up. Could have sunk it for the insurance money?
Yeah, the missing intake, valve covers and rockers seems a little "Fishy" to me. I really doubt that crabs or trout are that stuff!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
Glenwood timing cover and exhaust manifolds.
They didn't think it necessary to have something like a scattershield over the V-Drive between the passengers?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:16:19 PM by Dumpling »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:19:03 PM »
Yeah, the missing intake, valve covers and rockers seems a little "Fishy" to me. I really doubt that crabs or trout are that stuff!

Yep, definitely seems "fishy" to me also. ;D
Only two scenarios I can see are either insurance, or divers removed the only stuff worth salvaging. Maybe a tunnel ram or blower? With the steering wheel and Moon pedal, it looks like it went down in the '70s or thereabouts.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
...don't forget the blower, dual carbs, H&M scoop, and probably name brand valve covers.....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:19:01 PM by Dumpling »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
I dunno, but I'd be thinking "salvage rights" 

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 12:14:14 PM »
FEPower makes everything to get it running again.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
     I would guess stolen, striped of what could be had quickly, probably out on the water, and then scuttled!     :o

Scott.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
A pressure washer, some Simple Green, a few parts, and this thing will be back on the water by next Tuesday...Maybe Thursday.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
Maybe some thieves stole those parts off of it in the middle of the night while it was moored at the Marina, then towed it out and pulled the plug?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 09:37:43 PM »
Maybe some thieves stole those parts off of it in the middle of the night while it was moored at the Marina, then towed it out and pulled the plug?

Nah, I say insurance. Some years ago, at a FL business roundtable meeting, I spoke with a older fellow who had been the national president of the Chris-Craft owner's association. When I mentioned I was from the Chicago area, with a family place near Lake Geneva, WI he spun a tale of fraud. Seems that in the upcoming era of fiberglass boats, wooden boat owners tired of heavy and expensive maintenance figured out a way to switch to lighter, faster and near zero (hull) maintenance 'glass boats.

How, one asks? They pushed their Chris Craft and Gar Wood boats into the lake, punched a hole in the bottom and then collected insurance money!   

His staff at the CC association was cataloging at some expense old insurance records of "lost" boats in northern salt-free lakes where old wooden speedboats were common. They had identified at least 100 sunken boats, 2-3 in Lake Geneva, and actually raised maybe 20+ at that time (maybe 1989?) with the idea of restoring them for sale. Intrigued, I asked about condition and other than broken windshields from dropped anchors and rusty engines, the hulls and stainless steel brightwork were in great shape. I'll bet some are still searching waters all over the Midwest and maybe elsewhere for nautical barn finds! 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:39:59 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 06:05:14 PM »
THe continued story on this is really interesting. The folks who salvaged the boat tracked down the original owners, who related how they got caught in a big storm with a dead engine causing the boat to become swamped by large waves and sinking. The man, woman, and little kid on board barely escaped with their lives and did not want the boat back due to memories of the horrific experience.
The finders got the boat cleaned up, and most surprisingly, they got the 460 running with minimal effort! They were also able to figure out why the engine stalled on the lake in the storm. Then some petty, jealous, government bureaucrat gave them infinite grief and tried to charge them with violating some regulation while recovering the boat so they had to get an attorney and fight.  It's all on youtube.

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 06:46:47 PM »
THe continued story on this is really interesting. The folks who salvaged the boat tracked down the original owners, who related how they got caught in a big storm with a dead engine causing the boat to become swamped by large waves and sinking. The man, woman, and little kid on board barely escaped with their lives and did not want the boat back due to memories of the horrific experience.
The finders got the boat cleaned up, and most surprisingly, they got the 460 running with minimal effort! They were also able to figure out why the engine stalled on the lake in the storm. Then some petty, jealous, government bureaucrat gave them infinite grief and tried to charge them with violating some regulation while recovering the boat so they had to get an attorney and fight.  It's all on youtube.
That was a deferent boat, That was powered by a 429/460 that was still complete. The 2 Youtubers that worked on it are Fab r=Rat's and Merlin's old school garage. Merlin got the 429/460 running with a little maintenance and a carb. Fab Rats had some trouble with the Utah Fish and game department for transporting what ever the Muscle is that Fish and Game doesn't want transported. But no muscles were present on the boat.