Author Topic: wow 722 hp "flathead"  (Read 1148 times)

Heo

• View Profile
wow 722 hp "flathead"
« on: September 22, 2023, 04:10:33 AM »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: wow 722 hp "flathead"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 06:51:44 AM »
Amazing...that someone would spend huge money, time and effort for a one-off engine redesign only to cage a trophy (no $) and bragging rights! Geez, a turbo on any modern engine would surpass this old flathead design for sure. 
Bob Maag

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:36 AM »
     It's not about who has the most,........... it's about who has the most fun!   8)

Scott.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
Bob, if it has to be explained to you, then you don't get it at all. As for "no money", don't you root for Jay every time he's been at Drag Week? No money involved there either, only bragging rights, and I would bet that he has WAY more invested than that flathead, and a turbo small block could easily outrun him.

It's amazing what they did with that flathead. When you see how the pushrod set-ups are for that Ardun OHV, it's even more amazing.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 05:31:44 PM »
Money is only a tool to make it possible to accomplish whatever you set out to do. For years I've only done land speed racing. I'm out to improve on what I did on the last run. It took several weekends of improvement before I held the record. And holding the record(I still do) makes it possible for me to have my name in the list and enables me to buy a T-shirt that says, "World Record Holder." Satisfaction comes from having figured out how to do it. (Now I'm on to another class.)

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 06:09:37 PM »
I have pics from i think -85 when my father was at Hersey, holding a Ardun set that was for sale
for 2000 $. Expensive then...cheap now. As they say, you never pay to much for old Ford parts
you just buy it to early

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 07:33:34 AM »
Bob, if it has to be explained to you, then you don't get it at all. As for "no money", don't you root for Jay every time he's been at Drag Week? No money involved there either, only bragging rights, and I would bet that he has WAY more invested than that flathead, and a turbo small block could easily outrun him.

It's amazing what they did with that flathead. When you see how the pushrod set-ups are for that Ardun OHV, it's even more amazing.

Well CJ, I guess if I have to explain it to you, you don't get at all what Jay is doing. Reviving and adding to the long history of the FE Ford engine! Jay has also made and sold a lot of FE parts over the years and the best is yet to come. Still don't get it? Tell me then how many one-off flathead engines, let alone parts, that fellow will sell. Think it's likely ZERO! It's still a free country so he can do what he likes. And I can express my opinion here as well, thanks to Jay.
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 08:50:27 AM »
Good grief, who pissed in your Wheaties? The only response to that is to just walk away.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 09:14:35 AM »
Good grief, who pissed in your Wheaties? The only response to that is to just walk away.

I could say the same "...you don't get it at all." Opinions here are rarely replied to in this fashion.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 09:17:17 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 09:47:22 AM »
There are still shops that regularly build old flat head engines with performance in mind.  I recently saw one that made nearly 400 hp which is very respectable for a flat head.  I saw another one that made 180 hp.  Both looked nearly the same.  I was trying to figure out just how much of that 722 hp was engine alone, and if I am close to correct, then it makes 485-500hp NA.  That within itself is an accomplishment.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 02:55:07 PM »
That build boggles my mind. Huge accomplishment of the near impossible.
That crank riding on three mains making that power... Wow! But it isnt that far astray from some of the extreme outer limit FE builds I have seen.

Amazing...that someone would spend huge money, time and effort for a one-off engine redesign only to cage a trophy (no $) and bragging rights! Geez, a turbo on any modern engine would surpass this old flathead design for sure.

I think the point is that he wants the Flathead record, not just any speed record.
If that thing stays together, he may own the record for all time.

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 04:39:15 PM »
Cool  np mather what it for.
Mikko

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 06:51:40 PM »
👍

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »
Well i'm certainly not in the "why bother" category. I am impressed and think that's a great achievement.   Pretty sure the majority of us would not take the easy way out or we wouldn't have FE's. A Coyote with a blower or a damned LS could make better power.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 05:00:47 AM »
I had a 51 Ford PU with a V8 Flattie when I was living in Dry Gulch in the 70's.
It had duel carbs, but it was not that fast.
I bought it for $150 and sold it for $180 to the same guy I bought it from.
I should have kept that truck, they sell for way more now. ;D