Author Topic: WTB Running 390  (Read 34 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
WTB Running 390
« on: Today at 10:36:03 AM »
I've got a mild 390, estimate around 400-450HP, that has developed what I believe to be a rod knock, though I'm still in the diagnosis phase (fairly certain, though--unfortunately). I'm debating whether to try to purchase a decent running engine, or just rebuild the short block.

There are so many variables to consider, but cost, time, and quality are at the top of the list. My Galaxie was built by the previous owner with GT heads, so the manifolds/exhaust are a limiting factor for purchasing an engine for direct installation. Of course there are different ways of dealing with this, but I've been hoping not to miss the driving season this year, but that may not be practical. Obviously, going through the short block will likely eat up the driving season (or more) given that there is only one machine shop in the region I'd trust, and he is always extremely busy (I'm not the only one who thinks he's very good at what he does). I'm testing the waters here, exploring any possible options.

I'm in the Bowling Green, Ohio area.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell