Author Topic: 1968.5 Cobra Jet Hood Scoop & Stripe  (Read 576 times)

jmjohnson

• View Profile
1968.5 Cobra Jet Hood Scoop & Stripe
« on: January 02, 2024, 09:18:48 PM »
Hello- 

I am in the process of engine swapping a small block for an FE in my 1968 Mustang Fastback.  I have a couple questions that I hope some folks may be willing to help answer.  Because I am basically building a 1968.5 Cobra Jet clone, I want to better understand the hood scoop and stripe detail that is correct for a factory '68 Mustang Cobra Jet Car. 

I have read posts that describe how there were 3 iterations of the Cobra Jet scoop that may have been available in 1968.  Notwithstanding publicly available information, I still have the following questions: 

Question No. 1:  Are the only differences in a 1969-70 CJ scoop and a 1968 CJ scoop the a) absence of rear turn signal indicators on the 1968 version; b) absence of chrome/aluminum grill on the 1968 version; c) the stud pattern; and d) the injection molded versus layered glass construction?  Are the dimensions of the 1969-70 (non-shaker) Mustang CJ hood scoop otherwise the same as a 1968.5 Mustang CJ hood scoop?   

Question No. 2:  What is the exact width of the black hood/cowl stripe that was placed on (almost) all 1968.5 CJ Cars? 

Question No. 3:  It seems at one time Chris Simon (who worked for Legendary Motor Cars in Canada / thefordshow on Ebay), was a source for nice factory re-pop 1968 Mustang CJ hood scoops.  However, Chis no longer works at Legendary Motor Cars, and he's not easily found on Ebay any longer.  Does anyone know where a nice 1968.5 Mustang CJ hood scoop may be purchased?  I've heard cautionary advice on the Branda scoops.  Thanks for recommendations anyone has for sourcing a 1968.5 repop Mustang CJ hood scoop! 

Best,
Matt Johnson

Gregwill16

• View Profile
Re: 1968.5 Cobra Jet Hood Scoop & Stripe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:15:48 PM »
Matt it sounds like you did all your homework.

Question 1: Yes (AFAIK) just measured the outside dimensions of a 68 R scoop and a 69 Q scoop.

Question 2: Can't help with that because your (almost) statement is accurate. My original paint (black) car doesn't have the stripe. There are a couple other known black cars without it.

Question 3: He is the only source that I have heard for good repop scoops. I would join and post on the 428 CJ site and you will probably find him.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 08:18:56 PM by Gregwill16 »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 12:49:04 PM »
Lucky for you, I did some of this research recently as well.

Not sure if you have noticed this yet or not, but the stripe is not actually straight. It's wider in the rear than front. This is because the fenders are wider in the rear and if the stripe didn't widen it would create the illusion that the stripe was getting skinnier as it went back.

I looked at detailed pictures of some cobra jet Fords. What I found is the stripe covers 13 of the cowl fins from the middle on each side in the rear. So if you count out 13 fins and make your stripe end just outside of those. The front dimension is 15-1/2" wide. Rear will be close to 17-3/8" if you count out those fins.

This picture shows the scoop with the front grille in it, a local guy helped me realize that it shouldn't be in there so it's since been removed.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BIGBLOCKHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 04:17:38 PM »
https://www.428cobrajet.org/
these guys live and breath all things Cobra Jet.
One of the moderators is a 68 1/2 CJ owner, Chris Teeling, very knowledgable on this subject.

jmjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 08:55:37 PM »
Guys - thanks so much!!  Appreciate your replies and help

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 09:43:02 PM »
Black on black.